How do I make this surfboard holder

K

Kncool

Hello I love to go to the beach and ride my motoredbike, but Its hard to do both, unless I have this. How can I make this board holder I saw, I can get pipes from home depot, but where do I get the clamp that goes on to the bike frame?

Attachments

• 01011001040401030620070827da0a0f5f231fa1820c0044ca.jpg
    01011001040401030620070827da0a0f5f231fa1820c0044ca.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 822
  • 0101000103090104032007082792a780141d97148f64008d4f.jpg
    0101000103090104032007082792a780141d97148f64008d4f.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 790
That's pretty cool. If you don't have a pipe bender or cutting torch to heat and bend the pipe. I'd make it out of light weight materials like conduit or PVC. But I don't know how you would attach it, plus it wouldn't be as nice as one piece bent. You would just cover it up like the photo, with pipe insulation.

Let us know how it turns out.

Seems to me you would need a tube from the bottom of the surf board holder back to the bike itself mounted somewhere down low so that the weight of the board will not tend to twist on the current mounting points...May also have to add a diagonal brace for triangulation....That would make it really sturdy....Other than that be careful when riding since your bike will be off balance (maybe you could build another rack on the other side and transport a friend's board too?)....Also, watch out for cross winds!....Good luck...Looks like it could work!

Andrew

Just a thought but a muffler shop could bend up some pipes for you (they can also weld)....Use small diameter exhaust pipe....NO offense to the other poster who suggested PVC but I'm not real sure I would trust plastic and glued joints....On the flip side they do make carbon fiber frames....Hmmmm...Oh...U Bolts may be an attachment option if you have a cross piece welded on running between the 2 brackets running parallel to the top tube on your bike....But again...to keep the entire assembly from rotating on the mounting points I think a bottom brace and triangulation would still be needed.

Andrew

Just a thought but a muffler shop could bend up some pipes for you (they can also weld)....Use small diameter exhaust pipe....NO offense to the other poster who suggested PVC but I'm not real sure I would trust plastic and glued joints.

Andrew

None taken, and I had the same thought too. I often feel like I've been riding on a mile long cattle guard, and I'm sure the PVC sticking of the side would resonate with vibration until it gives way. I definitely agree with you about triangulation and angled supports to keep it from twisting.
I would prefer a one piece pipe.

I talk out loud and to myself often.

Lunar ecclipse has slowed down the internetz

Kncool,

I'm unable to pull up pix, try to chime in about using one of those heavy duty Wald rear basket arrangements to stablize that part of the puzzle.

They have large twin baskets 18x7x2.5", and rear grocery baskets approx. 13x7x8.5". These could be modified/cut/hinged to provide the cradle that holds the bulk of the boards weight.

Then the board could either be attached similar to your pix OR a "sidewise skateboard" dealio could be built, with independently spinning dolly wheels to pull behind the bike.

Also, if the sidewise/skateboard idea is envisioned, instead of basket(s) on the rear, a rack arrangement, where the board lies flat behind the seat with 2 or 4 wheels keeping the board off the pavement would be more "wind freindly"....but the wheels have to be dolly type, not paired on an axle, to make turning easier.

Go to your local surf shop and buy some. There are about 3-4 different styles. Check Craigslist, I see them in there from time to time. To hire someone to build these for you.....$$$$. I will see if I could find any online as an example. I personally bought one used from play-it-again-sports. Mine is a trailer that can hold up to 4 boards and gear, I paid $90 for it. Hands down, the way to go.

Back