How do I mount this 2.4 gallon fuel tank?

greenjon

Local time
12:29 PM
There are some neat looking 2.4 gallon fuel tanks on ebay. I'm not at all sure how to mount them though. I'd love your suggestions.

tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg

Looks like a suzuki type tank mount, those are usually rubber bumpers in a slot meant to take those 2 round bits and a bolt (or often zipties) to keep it stuck in place. You need to be crafty to put it on a bicycle, I could imagine some 3/4inch or 1in galvanized pipe with 2 holes drilled in each and heavily zip-tied to the frame would work OK, put a few layers of gorilla tape to take some shock or even rubber tubing. Use stainless steel ties and maybe nylon too. You can also weld some tube on (I recommend this.)

Zip ties would be convenient and unseen on the front mount and only partially seen in the rear unless you put something up against it.

If your tube is too wide only a weld will work. You can also drill small holes in the 2 round mounts and use brake cable to secure it to the frame, it would hold until you crash the bike and even then it might still stay.

you can also try rigging up some hose clamps. they come in all type of sizes and are usually stainless steel. thought periodically, you might have to tighten them since the bike will vibrate and the screws are pretty basic. its not a big deal but something to be aware of. hose clamps will work great on that tube if you can get the fixture correct.

I would pack the bicycle top bar with foam, then do a retro style mount using leather straps. I would also add another petcock drain connection on the other side and T them together into a single line going to the carb.

I would pack the bicycle top bar with foam, then do a retro style mount using leather straps. I would also add another petcock drain connection on the other side and T them together into a single line going to the carb.
Also a good idea, would work too, I mounted my tank with sash chain so a sturdy leather harnessing system would do it too.

you can also try rigging up some hose clamps. they come in all type of sizes and are usually stainless steel. thought periodically, you might have to tighten them since the bike will vibrate and the screws are pretty basic. its not a big deal but something to be aware of. hose clamps will work great on that tube if you can get the fixture correct.
Come to think of it sandpaper, large hose clamps, and a liberal amount of jb weld could fix a sturdy, compatible mount to the tank. Real welding would be ideal, but steel can be soldered so slots for straps could be added, if real welding is done and pinholes (or total blow throughs) happen there's that nice tank seal that would fix it, at least then the tank won't ever be a problem and never get rust clogging a fuel line.

Back