How do I properly remove and inspect this reverse-mounted clutch?

PRwanderer

Local time
2:55 PM
Hey guys. I bought this motorbike a couple of months ago. It has a Briggs and Stratton 6.5HP engine that I believe was intended for a go-cart. However, recently the clutch has been acting weird. It pulls inconsistently (sort of bucks) at certain speeds and makes a grinding noise. When I push the bike with the engine off, the bell lightly scrapes something once per rotation of the bell. I want to pull it off and see what is going on, but I've never seen one mounted backward before. What is the proper way to remove it?

Attachments

• IMG_2022-11-22-09-55-41-332.jpg
    IMG_2022-11-22-09-55-41-332.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 84
Hey guys. I bought this motorbike a couple of months ago. It has a Briggs and Stratton 6.5HP engine that I believe was intended for a go-cart. However, recently the clutch has been acting weird. It pulls inconsistently (sort of bucks) at certain speeds and makes a grinding noise. When I push the bike with the engine off, the bell lightly scrapes something once per rotation of the bell. I want to pull it off and see what is going on, but I've never seen one mounted backward before. What is the proper way to remove it?
Remove the bolt from end of crankshaft it should be 1/2" or 9/16" then clutch should pull off. It's no different than pulling it off if it was faced out board.

Remove the bolt from end of crankshaft it should be 1/2" or 9/16" then clutch should pull off. It's no different than pulling it off if it was faced out board.
You mean the one right on that clutch, correct? How do I prevent the clutch from turning as I loosen it? Also, is it reverse threaded? Sorry, m previous bike had a hand operated clutch. This is my first bike with a centrifugal clutch

You mean the one right on that clutch, correct? How do I prevent the clutch from turning as I loosen it? Also, is it reverse threaded? Sorry, m previous bike had a hand operated clutch. This is my first bike with a centrifugal clutch
Yep the bolt right in the center of the clutch. Well this is where a cordless impact comes in handy. You might have to make a holding tool, with a board & 3 wood screws. Or buy a ac clutch holding tool.
Screenshot_20221122-102451_Chrome.jpg

Take out your spark plug, turn the engine to BDC, feed a length of 1/4" rope down the spark plug hole. Then turn the bolt with a ratchet/wrench. rightie tightie, lefty loosie.
The engine will turn over and compress the rope enough to remove bolt, leave the end of the rope hanging out of the hole.

Take out your spark plug, turn the engine to BDC, feed a length of 1/4" rope down the spark plug hole. Then turn the bolt with a ratchet/wrench. rightie tightie, lefty loosie.
The engine will turn over and compress the rope enough to remove bolt, leave the end of the rope hanging out of the hole.
I just read this. Good info. Something I never would have thought of.

Back