Chains How Do I Remove Pin Without Tool?

Aikaru

Local time
9:19 PM
I bought a new chain but my chain breaker is too small for it and I can’t hammer it through because the sides of the pins are bent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 151
I bought a new chain but my chain breaker is too small for it and I can’t hammer it through because the sides of the pins are bent
A socket, or stack of washers, a hammer, and a thin punch ( slightly smaller than the pin). If you have a vise or vice grips, use them to clamp the link down to the stack of washers, socket, wrench end, and tap the pin out. first few hits will take some force, then it will slide easily through. Make sure the pin is over an empty area, like the hole in the washers, or the end of a wrench, boxed end wrench work great for chain breaking.

A socket, or stack of washers, a hammer, and a thin punch ( slightly smaller than the pin). If you have a vise or vice grips, use them to clamp the link down to the stack of washers, socket, wrench end, and tap the pin out. first few hits will take some force, then it will slide easily through. Make sure the pin is over an empty area, like the hole in the washers, or the end of a wrench, boxed end wrench work great for chain breaking.
Didn’t work, it’s in there good

Even if the edges are bent down to keep the pin in place?
You have to make sure the punch head is slightly smaller than the pin. If you can get the peen to dimple in, the pin is going, but you may not have enough height in your stack to push it all the way through. I used to beat all my chains apart, till I got tired of cracking my shop floor. Then I bought a breaker. You can lightly grind the peened end off, then punch if you need.

A 1", thick handled wrench will get you most the way through.

You have to make sure the punch head is slightly smaller than the pin. If you can get the peen to dimple in, the pin is going, but you may not have enough height in your stack to push it all the way through. I used to beat all my chains apart, till I got tired of cracking my shop floor. Then I bought a breaker. You can lightly grind the peened end off, then punch if you need.

A 1", thick handled wrench will get you most the way through.
image.jpg

Back