How do i remove the left handlebar grip?

micromaster22

Local time
8:38 AM
FIRST POST!!!!

This might be a very idiotic post but I Cant get it off. The throttle grip is easy (obviously) but whoever put the left grip on really put it on there. I bought the bike pre-built off craigslist, ended up cracking my frame due to poor engine mounting so I'm about to swap to another bicycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
you need a small but strong + screwdriver, soapy water, a tall cup, and a straw.

- take the screwdriver and jam it into the handle grip and metal bar as much as possible
- lift the screwdriver
- using the straw and ur thumb put in some soapy water
- twist the grip as much as you can
- jam the screwdriver deeper and repeat until the handle grip comes off

it should come off this way or the guy musta cement that bar in otherwise...

you need a small but strong + screwdriver, soapy water, a tall cup, and a straw.

- take the screwdriver and jam it into the handle grip and metal bar as much as possible
- lift the screwdriver
- using the straw and ur thumb put in some soapy water
- twist the grip as much as you can
- jam the screwdriver deeper and repeat until the handle grip comes off

it should come off this way or the guy musta cement that bar in otherwise...

I've done this in the past with regular bicycle grips but didn't think it would work with the material on the stock china kits. Thanks for the reply!

I do same, but use a tiny jeweler's screw driver and some gas under front of grip - some are so tight that after putting in gas, I wrap a rag around grip and use channel lock pliers to begin twisting it a bit and adding gas and twisting more.

Lift the edge up with a screwdriver, put a few drops of rubbing alcohol as best you can onto the part of the grip which grips, and rotate grip back and forth while pulling it off. Works to install them too, you just need to let it sit in the sun for a while afterwards until the alcohol evaporates.
Works great for rubber grips, have not tried with foam grips - the foam may not work with the alcohol.

Lift the edge up with a screwdriver, put a few drops of rubbing alcohol as best you can onto the part of the grip which grips, and rotate grip back and forth while pulling it off. Works to install them too, you just need to let it sit in the sun for a while afterwards until the alcohol evaporates.
Works great for rubber grips, have not tried with foam grips - the foam may not work with the alcohol.
And almost definitely not with gas. Lol

I use gas for everything - makes a nice steak sauce too : )

kinda miss that little bit of sweetness that the lead used to add though

Most likley it has no vibration dampining quality. If so, exacto knife it to the recycle bin of choice. Buy a quality pair, wet the inside of grip with water and slide it home...

Back