how do i start it?

Shortening the cables total length will not help. You need to "PULL" all the slack out while the cable stopper is loose,at the same time press the clutch arm in towards the disengaged position,,, then tighten the stopper. Make sure the adjuster on the tower on the motor is all the way in and if there is an adjustment on the clutch lever on the handle bars that it is also all the way in. This will allow you to make "fine" adjustments later. If your bike will not roll smooth, check your alignment on the chain and sprockets! if this alignment is not real close then chances are you will throw the chain. Not to tight on the idler chain adjuster either, just keep an eye on it and adjust as you need it, the chain will stretch as you ride it. Hope this helps.

Papa

thanks guys. i was being too cautious with the clutch. i shortened the cable and got the lever to move about 15 degrees to the left. it disengaged! then just as i was about to put gas in the engine and give it a go, my engine chain broke... does anyone know where i can get a decently priced chain in tucson or the net? you guys rock. thanks for being so helpful. :D

yeah, i got my bike from the spooky tooth guys. they are hard to get ahold of. is there a place on the net that i can get one from?

drive chain issues

i finally got the clutch working and i roll the bike out in the drive way to gas it up and it snapped. i wonder if the tension in the chain was too high. maybe i put the roller thing too high. i finally got some new chain i dont know how to install it. i couldnt find a thread that already covered it. can someone point me in tne right direction?

if the motor wasnt even running when it snapped, it sounds like the tension was much too high. FIRST: lower your chain tensioner all the way down before anything else. roll an open end of the chain onto the top of the motor sprocket, holding cutch lever in. feed the chain down until you can grab w/fingers, and pull through to the bottom. you're holding the clutch in still, or the sprocket wont turn. when the two ends of chain meet up, put your master link on, making sure that the clip open-end is facing the motor. then roll the bike to get the chain fully onto rear sprocket. move tensioner up only until its got some play. too tight, and next time it may be a motor you'll be replacing.

yikes! thanks man. one more question. i have a regular chain breaker for normal bike. do you think that would be good enough to shorten the chain? the guy who is sending it too me said im going going have to remove a few links.

I tried it w/bike chain breaker, and wouldn't work for me. Too small. AND the ones they sell at motorcycle shops are too big. Try a moped dealership, maybe. 8)

Back