how do u know if your engine is overheating

A

andrewflores17

i was riding mine a little harder than usaual and when i tryed to kill it wouldnt dye when i lifted up the air intake it just kep reving and then when i was coming back home it died whenever i pulled in the clutch was this it overheating our something else

I've wondered the same thing myself...just how *DO* you know your
little 2-stroke is overheating, without actually seizing the piston and
finding out the hard way.

About the engine dying when you pull in the clutch, mine started doing
that after a couple hours of runtime...turns out that cheap asbestos
looking gasket that came with the kit to fit between the intake and the
cylinder head gave way, and was letting in too much air.

I made a new gasket out a thin cardboard and RTV silicone. Worked
like a charm, and fixed that whole "won't idle" problem.

BTW, that can be a serious problem, too much air coming in from a
leaky gasket. Creates a lean condition... more heat, less lubricant... :eek:

standard issue

yeah it was that dumb little absetos sealer it just disengrated on me i am going back to a cereal box sealer a least they dont disegrate on you

i wonder if their is a temapture gauge our something we could get for our bikes

what do you guys mean when you say cereal box gaskets? Do you actually cut out a gasket from a cereal box? how welll do they work...any help---much apreciated :D

yes...you can make gaskets out of cereal boxes. (not exhaust gaskets)
an old shadetree mechanic trick. cut out your gasket....coat both sides with a thin layer of grease & install. works as good as store-bought.

Yup, quite literally the gasket is made out of a peice of cereal box!

...or any other kind of suitable, single ply cardboard you have lying
around. In my case, I used a peice of the box a bicycle innertube
came in, but that was just what was handy.

Like the previous poster said, it works just as well as a store-bought
gasket. IMHO, it's even better, because it's free!

It also gives you that cool 'MacGyver' factor... :cool:

standard issue

Note to self: The gaskets on these little motors suck so much that people use cardboard to replace them...

Sheesh!

I read on here that standard copper based form-a-gasket stuff works on both intake and exhaust. Just something I read on ther internet, don't sue me if that sucks as well.

Re: overheating.

Keep your gas oily. When in doubt with the fuel/oil ratio, add more oil.
I live at 6000 foot altitude and always ride to higher elevations. This has tought me that rich air/fuel carburated motors won't run but lean motors will overheat. When less air is available dial in less fuel but not so little that you will overheat.

Carburation is complicated. That's all I can say. Good luck.

:D

where do you live i live up here in colorado in denver and run mine at 32/1 to 25/1 what do you run yours at

Run it at 36 to 1 or 40 to 1. Synthetic is good idea. Buy it at Wal-Mart. The hyper expensive stuff is.....really expensive.

The reason your engine was revving and running hot has nothing to do with how much oil you are running. Too much oil is as bad as too little.

Keeping your gaskets in good shape will keep you from having a "lean run".

i live down here in the desert. is running a 50;1 mix good for it or should i stay around 30;1 - 40;1 ?

Back