How do you fix a pin prick puncture???

bakaneko

Local time
1:02 AM
So found my tire flat today even with a liner. Pumped it back up and it held pressure well. Rotated the tire close to my ear and literally found a small puncture and a pin stuck in the tire. I was like okay maybe this is the time to try out the Huffy quick change tube that changes the tube without removing the wheel. But then, I was like let me try squirting hot glue into the pin prick hole and it actually stopped the puncture at high PSI around 60. I road it a quarter mile and it staid on. Never thought that it would work but I guess lets wait till tomorrow when I go on an 8 mile trip.

So how do you guys fix a pin prick puncture?

I've used Slime on all just about all my bike tires since the late 80's, I've seen that stuff fix dozens of small holes from goathead thorns. I've seen tubes out-last tires that they were in. I have an emergency tube in my toolbox that's 14 years old and has been on 3 bicycles. It still has Slime in it, and it will probably still hold air once mounted and spun for a bit!

Before that, I had become something of an expert at patching. Growing up where there's a lot of goatheads, I started patching my own tubes when I was 8 years old out of necessity. I hate walking, and putting a new patch on a tube used to be a 2-3x a week thing! Did that for 4 years before trying Slime, and been using it since.

If you run your tires with slime, it's almost impossible to patch a tube. The slime seems to eat at the glue. Even after 2 days dry time, any patch I made on a slimed tube burst like the slime was lube for the air. This is my experience, some mileage may vary.
Edit: I never had issues with goatheads, but anything larger that the slime didn't cover, a patch wouldn't hold where it normally would. The slime keeps a patch from sticking right it seems.

So found my tire flat today even with a liner. Pumped it back up and it held pressure well. Rotated the tire close to my ear and literally found a small puncture and a pin stuck in the tire. I was like okay maybe this is the time to try out the Huffy quick change tube that changes the tube without removing the wheel. But then, I was like let me try squirting hot glue into the pin prick hole and it actually stopped the puncture at high PSI around 60. I road it a quarter mile and it staid on. Never thought that it would work but I guess lets wait till tomorrow when I go on an 8 mile trip.

So how do you guys fix a pin prick puncture?
I used super glue and some plastic grocery bags to fix a puncture at a liquor store with 15 miles from the nearest spot with tubes. It lasted weeks. I just layered the plastic bag cutouts and supper glue 5 layers thick. I only replaced it because I was worried about getting stranded. It held very well.

Well, it was flat this morning. Though I did refilled it this morning and went on a fast 8 mile run. So, I will just go ahead and change the tube. With the center duo kickstand, I think this is pretty easy but I got like washer spacers and a bolt to fix my broken derailleur so ideally I dont want to remove the wheel. I guess this gives us a good opportunity to test the Huffy Quick Change tube though the Amazon reviews for it are mixed.

What you think? You guys want me to try the Huffy Quick Change and document it via a YouTube video? I know everyone would prefer not to take off the rear wheel if possible to fix a flat. The other thing is the Quick Change is literally 3-5x the price of a tube.

EDIT: It wasn't the glue area. There is a micro puncture that I discovered with the water spray bottle...

Last edited:
Heavy duty slime tube with more slime put inside with a Kevlar liner and Goodyear tires. I dont have tire problems until tire is worn and needs replaced. Flats are rare anymore just watch what you run over.

Back