how do you go about getting in the over 50 mph club.

8600 rpm with a 44t on the back would be 39.001 mph. To reach 50 mph with a 44t on the rear you would need to spin at 11025.2 rpm. With the 32t you need to spin at 8018.3 rpm to hit 50 mph. You are also now running a 13.12:1 reduction. That's a dog on takeoff with these small engines unless you bump up the power.

That's why I mentioned in a previous post on the last page
Just biding my time until I get my hands on a vm18, the NT works surprisingly well at the moment and I'd rather not spend any money on jets for it.

The current plan is swap the 32t for a 36t to bring my top speed back to the "actually usable" range (from 51 to 45 @ 8.2-8.5k RPM), then get a VM18, then eventually a windowed piston + reed.
I'm well aware at this point of the math on various gear combinations. I know the math says with a 44t sprocket at 8600rpm I should be doing 40. At this point I'll just assume that my Pixel 3 XL's gps is reading a few mph low. Which means I've gotten quite a bit closer to 50mph than I realized.

Either way I'll be installing a 36t tomorrow when it comes in the mail. A 38t would probably have been the better choice but at this point thats just splitting hairs.

I was measuring 28.3 for my 27.5" tire, it's pretty fat and don't trust those wrap around the plug wire tachs to be spot on. might be a small % error fed in the calc.
if you're not wound out and you hit 44mph pretty sure you're on 50 if you do.
keep tuning! glad it's running that good. 50 is impressive if you get there safely

I was measuring 28.3 for my 27.5" tire, it's pretty fat and don't trust those wrap around the plug wire tachs to be spot on. might be a small % error fed in the calc.
if you're not wound out and you hit 44mph pretty sure you're on 50 if you do.
keep tuning! glad it's running that good. 50 is impressive if you get there safely
Learn from other's experiences instead of making your own experience to learn from (hurts more): make sure you can stop fast from 50 mph before trying to hit that speed. That's one thing KCVale did that made his builds better than most, almost all the builds I seen him make had the brakes to stop em.

Yeah I don't plan on trying to hit 50 unless I'm doing it on the path by the canal near me, its perfectly straight and has no motorized traffic on it (except for me, typically don't go faster than 25-30, 15 if I see people walking) and even then I won't even attempting it. It's not the brakes that worry me as I know they are s**t, it's whether or not the cheap Huffy hubs will self destruct at that speed that scares me.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-27...rt-Bike-with-Perfect-Fit-Frame-Sage/848207021

My 36t sprocket will be here in an hour or so according to Amazon's tracker and soon I'll have some actual acceleration again. I'm wanting to be able to cruise at 6-7k RPM doing 30-40ish, the math shows that this might work but I'm getting a creeping feeling that it might still be geared a hair high for the acceleration that I desire.

EDIT: Got the sprocket and it's now installed. The bike now accelerates fast enough to be usable but the low end still leaves much to be desired. It's becoming apparent why people like jackshaft kits. For now I'm going to leave it as it is and maybe next paycheck I'll order a 40t to get the acceleration back to where I'd prefer along with an extra chain (Its nice to have lengths that match sprockets).

Last edited:
Just got results on my motorized bike completely stock motor 36 tooth got it up to 41mph slight decline and back wind still too fast for me last time i should go 40mph on a bicycle just wanted to see how fast i could go i think 36 tooths are perfect cruiser sprockets but the 44t is great for being mr speedy aslong as you plan to stay under 30mph

Back