how do you go about getting in the over 50 mph club.

Yarr! This thread has been hijacked! LOL.
How to get over 50mph from a HT 66cc...
Well idk yet but
I believe that KCvale got it in a nutshell on page one.
It is surely ultimately futile to raise power past the point where it must come at the expense of reliability, when you have so much you can do to reduce drag. Fighting air resistance is pretty much the only thing that the power is being used for.
Recumbents, semi-recumbents, or fairings, rear axle footpegs, clip-on bars down on the fork legs, tight fitting clothes, etc...
IMO, not IME, but it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
View attachment 73274 View attachment 73275 View attachment 73276 Yea ditch the 2-stroke.
And KC will tell you his shift kit bike does 43mph, but what he won't tell you is it takes a half mile to get to that speed and the feedback sucks with no engine braking.
And you have to shift gears constantly like driving a semi truck.. Wtf!!
Hehehe, apparently you have never even rode any kind of shifting bicycle, MB, or a motorcycle.
Kids mini-bikes are direct drive, but even kids dirt bikes have gears.

It's called Mechanical Advantage.
It keeps the engine in the 'sweet spot' for the desired speed.

The thing is, bicycle gears are designed for human power, but even with a ~50cc's you are adding~1.8 HP to your pedals.
A legal size in most states and way easier on MPG than larger engines.

An internal shifting 3-speed hub helps a bunch, and no, you don't have be constantly shifting it, heck you can leave it in 2nd and its a direct drive that runs great.
1st lets you jump out into fast traffic, max revs in 2ndn and 3rd let's you match traffic speed, and it don't take no 1/2 miles to get to 40+mph, not even a 100 yards (a football field).

Gimme a break KC, You never built a fast single speed?? Singles can go fast and take off fast too.

The thing about going over 40mph is you need hp and torque to overcome the wind resistance.
This is where the 212 makes it easy. A properly setup single can go fast AND get there fast..

Yep, after ~32mph air resistence is a big factor and you need power to overcome it.
Sure, I build a 79cc pred direct drive.

2_79cc2-DoneL-1280.jpg

It did well and could hit 40mph quickly.

A pain in the butt to build and way illegal unless getting it registered and having a driver license like you have done with your build.

That's not the kind of builds my customers want.
They want something legal to operate as a bicycle but still make good time.
I just found a way to get <2hp to get 40+mph is all ;-}

Actually KC to get a motorcycle license in CA a person needs to learn to drive a motorcycle. I have had my motorcycle license since a year after I got my drivers license.

I've been driving manual transmissions for most of my life. So I know the whole mechanical advantage point. But RECENTLY, last year, I started daily driving my first auto: this bike. And I love the auto!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually KC to get a motorcycle license in CA a person needs to learn to drive a motorcycle. I have had my motorcycle license since a year after I got my drivers license.

I've been driving manual transmissions for most of my life. So I know the whole mechanical advantage point. But RECENTLY, last year, I started daily driving my first auto: this bike. And I love the auto!

Nice bike. You have to relate your story of how you got the bike titled, registered, and plated and insured in of all places California (??). Many in restrictive states are having trouble doing just that with their 2-stroke and 4-stroke bikes. Yeh, and I agree it feels great to be able to use the middle of the road and not have to deal with the rocks, uneven bumps, cracks, and whatnot in the bike lane.

Bike was registered using form reg230. $22 mailed with form n answer yes to questions.

Hey KC So I swapped it over to single speed. Yes thr bike accelerates much slower off the line but it's really not that bad still good could beat a bus off the line. 7:1. Gonna try 6.6 an 43mph lockup. 2-speed is more fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike was registered using form reg230. $22 mailed with form n answer yes to questions.

Hey KC So I swapped it over to single speed. Yes thr bike accelerates much slower off the line but it's really not that bad still good could beat a bus off the line. 7:1. Gonna try 6.6 an 43mph lockup. 2-speed is more fun!

I mean specifically what did you put as the VIN number for the bike and how did you approach insurance companies...

I would assume you could use the frame number for the serial number.

I don't even know AZ law regarding registering an MB so I can't help with CA law, all I know is my MotoPed 3-speed 88cc 4-stroke build that easily does 50+mph safely...

2_MotoPedDoneL-1280.jpg

... and stop on a dime.
It was another 'whim build' when I was flush with cash after my Pop's died.

Basically a motorcycle with pedals and the engine having it's own 3-speed tranny built in.
Again, gears for overall performance.

It's still running around Metro Phoenix and not getting screwed with by the law, but ALL my engine stickers all say 48cc on them ;-}

My only point here is if you want to go highway speeds, best have a machine designed for it like this.

Hey is that the Hayes stroker Ace caliper on your motoped? How do you like that brake?

Supposedly some of these hi perf carbs ads say you can get a 'substantial speed increase' over a regular NT carb. Then you'd read a Dellorto review by somebody who say they only noticed a 1 mph speed increase. Go figure.

Supposedly some of these hi perf carbs ads say you can get a 'substantial speed increase' over a regular NT carb. Then you'd read a Dellorto review by somebody who say they only noticed a 1 mph speed increase. Go figure.
Your top speed is directly related to engine RPM.
If you can coax a few more RPM cool, but you can only get so much.

Back