How do you Improve the Grip of a Drive Roller?

I use a Black Magic spindle for friction drive mb. This spindle has channels going left to right.I have pictures of it under my profile. I use it rain or shine and it works great.

andyszyd,
Okay, 1st, I've never owned a "black magic spindle" or any chinese knock off bike sometimes refered to as "black and roll". I have, on the other hand, had very good experiences with Solex brand bikes, and the US importer of IMPEX brand Solex bikes that were sold in this country for the last two decades or so.
To the best of my knowledge, Solex engines only use a trusted aggregate material bonded onto the outer circumference of the roller. This roller is integrated in the Solex engine to drive through a friction clutch and ride on the engines crankshaft for support. I have used rollers of this type since 1967, and they are superior to anything else I've experimented with.

Cris

What is "Black Magic" spindle?

here's Tom80's pic

picture.php

The only problem with these is the small diameter. You have to run at very high RPMs to end up at decent speeds.

With the 3/4 inch roller, your engine would need to crank at over 11000 RPM, in order to roll along at 25 MPH.

Solex roller

Guys,
This does't do any good as far as providing a nice picture, but I could always photograph one of my spares and post it here. Anyways, here is a link to the roller of choice (IMHO):

http://www.velocruz.com/store/clutch.htm

Friction (drive roller) (Ref 10) SPM93072 $41.10

It a lot more expensive than the Black Magic spindle, but will grip very well in all weather and well packed terrain (forget deep mud and snow). Muddy streets where the mud will pack up around the roller is okay, along with light snow.

Cris

solex roller photos

These snap shots are of a used roller I salvaged years ago....still in good shape with many unused miles left on it. In order to use, one would have to turn a mandrel and press fit the roller on it and pin it to prevent slippage on mandrel. Sounds difficult, but only 20 minutes of lathe work. Id use either 1214 or C1018 for mandrel material, 1214 turns easier. Try to avoid aluminum as it work hardens when flexed and can break. If you have to use aluminum, go with 7075-T6 as it is an equivalent to mild steel.

Cris

Attachments

• rollerotherend.jpg
    rollerotherend.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,424
  • rollerend.jpg
    rollerend.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,331
The spindles are small. The RC car motor I am using will spin 14000 rpm. The idea is very basic and could be done with a cut off wheel and some patience. I have not seen a larger roller with this type of pattern. The pattern is the main reason why I suggested it. If you have access to a lath you could easily make this roller and then put on the mill with a indexing chuck cut groves and Heat treat it. Less grinding on the tire then a aggregate roller and allot longer roller life. Just letting people know the design works great.

Hi,
Have any one used a wood roller?
Ratdog

Yes, on the DE setups. They work great and it's easy and cheap to make your own in a wide variety of diameters. The thing I like best is they don't conduct a lot of heat off hot summer pavement or transfer it to the bearings and crank.

Back