How do you know when the clutch is toast?

If you're asking me??? I have 4750 hours of use on my engine/original clutch (13 years old). At a 15 mph average speed that's over 70,000 miles.

So basically you rode your bike 365 days of the year for 1 hr each day
= 365hrs per year x 13yr = 4,745 hrs @ 15mph average speed = 71,175 miles over 13 years Not unbelievable but...
I guess you got your hrs and average speed on digital display to keep track

BTW whats your normal cruising speed? because If I was to do the math, I would subtract 1/3 to get my average speed

So basically you rode your bike 365 days of the year for 1 hr each day
= 365hrs per year x 13yr = 4,745 hrs @ 15mph average speed = 71,175 miles over 13 years Not unbelievable but...
I guess you got your hrs and average speed on digital display to keep track

BTW whats your normal cruising speed? because If I was to do the math, I would subtract 1/3 to get my average speed
Around 15 mph is my average speed according to my bicycle computer. I've got a very old tach/h. counter. That only went to 999.9 hours. I've turned it over 4 times. By my calculations it'd be like riding 1 hour a day every day for 13 years. Though I don't ride every day I easily ride more than 7 hours a week.

If 15 mph is your cruising speed then ya need to subtract 1/3 to get you actual average speed

Because your not always going 15 mph, ya got stop lights, sign & turns + road conditions etc..
I cruise at 40- 45 MPH but in some areas it takes me 1 hr to go 25 miles, See what i'm saying
Distance and Time

If I subtract 1/3 from my average cruising speed of 40- 45 mph I get an average speed of 28 mph which is more accurate to how many miles I'm actually going per hr vrs cruising at 40 - 45 mph

Around 15 mph is my average speed according to my bicycle computer. I've got a very old tach/h. counter. That only went to 999.9 hours. I've turned it over 4 times. By my calculations it'd be like riding 1 hour a day every day for 13 years. Though I don't ride every day I easily ride more than 7 hours a week.
And some weeks ya don't ride at all because of weather etc...
It's really hard to say how many miles you have actually traveled, I know your making a basic guess
Average mph speed on you bicycle computer still don't equal your actual distance traveled. Sure the hrs are correct
Your bicycle isn't a fast accelerating bike and crawls up to it's cruising speed, I'm sure you have stop signs and lights in your area too, if you subtract the 1/3 as I suggested a more realistic estimate of your actual miles traveled would be 40K Which is very impressive for only 13 years
But 70K sounds better :ROFLMAO:

How do you know when the clutch is toast?​

When the toaster pops up...lol...lol.

(Alright, I'm a sick puppy with a warped sense of humour, but most of you already knew that...lol.)

And some weeks ya don't ride at all because of weather etc...
It's really hard to say how many miles you have actually traveled, I know your making a basic guess
Average mph speed on you bicycle computer still doesn't equal your actual distance traveled. Sure the hrs are correct
Your bicycle isn't a fast accelerating bike and crawls up to its cruising speed, I'm sure you have stop signs and lights in your area too, if you subtract the 1/3 as I suggested a more realistic estimate of your actual miles traveled would be 40K Which is very impressive for only 13 years
But 70K sounds better :ROFLMAO:
Here in the mountains, I can be going as fast as 45+ mph and as slow as 8 mph all on the same 5-mile stretch of non-stop road with an average speed of 15 mph on that 5-mile stretch. Average speed isn't necessarily cruising speed. Average speed is distance ÷time. Now Average speed can also vary, with me, it generally stays around 15 mph. So at best all I can give is a close guess.

My main point is a high-quality clutch, shifting skills, and very drive ratios will greatly increase the life of a clutch.

Here in the mountains, I can be going as fast as 45+ mph and as slow as 8 mph all on the same 5-mile stretch of non-stop road with an average speed of 15 mph on that 5-mile stretch. Average speed isn't necessarily cruising speed. Average speed is distance ÷time. Now Average speed can also vary, with me, it generally stays around 15 mph. So at best all I can give is a close guess.

My main point is a high-quality clutch, shifting skills, and very drive ratios will greatly increase the life of a clutch.

My point, your computer is old and has limited math capabilities
It don't account for stop and go time and distance time lost, it's always recalculating average speed at every stop it also round averages up or down For this reason your 15 mph average speed cant be converted into miles traveled

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a better Bicycle Computer (speedometer/odometer) that tells you your speed and distance traveled That's the only way to know for sure

It's all good with me if ya wanna claim 70K miles in 13 years You'll never hear me question it again (y)

My point, your computer is old and has limited math capabilities
It don't account for stop and go time and distance time lost, it's always recalculating average speed at every stop it also round averages up or down For this reason your 15 mph average speed cant be converted into miles traveled

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a better Bicycle Computer (speedometer/odometer) that tells you your speed and distance traveled That's the only way to know for sure

It's all good with me if ya wanna claim 70K miles in 13 years You'll never hear me question it again (y)
I actually bought a Sigma 14.16 bicycle computer that can store information on an app about 2 years ago. I do need to upgrade the old tach/counter to one that has a light in it though.

Back