How do you remove chrome?

Sgt. Howard

Local time
4:26 AM
... Assuming you do not want a chrome fender or chain guard? Acid? Wire brush on a grinder? Full automatic fire? Mind you, I do not want to trash the metal itself. Or..... is there a way to paint over chrome that will hold?

un chrome plate it!

electricity.

mild acid solution and youll have to refer to a book for the polarity in plating...then reverse it so chrome dissolves ;)

sandblast the stuff and paint will stick like :poop: to a blanket :)

self-etching primer will make the surface of whatever you paint slightly rough, allowing paint to stick to it.

just need to get a key for paint don't really need to remove it. I worked as a sandblaster for 8 years and blasted a lot of chrome in that time! aluminium silicate should do the job or even used copper slag don't use heavy grit on it or it will cause deep chips !

I used an 80-grit flap disc and it worked great. And the primer coat covered any and all abrasion marks from the flap disc.

IgraineLG.jpg

Some years ago, a friend painted the center of his hubcaps with Outboard Motor Primer . Other than a mild cleaning, the chrome sparkled before applying primer. The stuff lasted at least 10 years. OMC made the primer, it was an Army Green Color, Satin Finish . I say OK to scuffing bad chrome, but it's a '[ sin ' to scuff up good chrome, in case you tire of the color.

Back