how do you start/ stop the engine on a rack mount system?

I'm having the same dilemma choosing my first kit. I was hoping to throw in some questions about gebe or staton.

How is pedaling withOUT the engine on with gebe? With tension lever on/off?

How is pedaling withOUT the engine on with Staton (chain)?

How long does it take to take off/on that gebe belt? Something you can do at a red light? And I mean not completely off the whole bike, just to use 100% bicycle and then back on again for engine usage.

How much does a Staton chain drive bike weigh? Say hooked up on a 30 lb mountain bike.

What kind of MPGs are Staton chain drives getting? I don't think I've seen it listed on the site but maybe I missed it.

Oh yeah, on gebe website, the pics show bikes with the teardrop gas can mounted on top bar. What happened to those?

http://www.bikeengines.com/info.htm

I've been going through a lot of the gebe threads, and there's a lot of info there, but haven't found as many about the statons...so far.

I'd also consider a friction like Kahunna mentioned but on a day like today in Los Angeles it makes me second guess. It wasn't raining, just kinda misting off and on all day. I could still ride my bike around but I would wonder how a friction would do in this weather.

At any rate, for a friction drive how many hours/miles does a rear tire have in it with friction drive before it needs to be replaced? It would seem to me the friction drive would just cut the tire life in half.

A lot of helpfull info in this thread already, any other thoughts appreciated!

*edit*

I thought I was in this thread...

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4663

but I guess the content is pretty much the same??

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any direct experience with Gebe or with Staton chain drives. It could be that the reason there are more threads and posts about Gebe is because there are tricks to getting them installed and operating correctly, whereas with the Staton chain kit, you install it and ride.
I have experience with Friction drive. The Staton friction drive does not work well in wet conditions. I hear that Dimension Edge has rollers made for wet conditions, but I haven't heard anything from anyone who has tried them. As far as tire wear, I wore out a couple of tires last year, but a lot of that probably depends on tires, inflation pressure, friction drive adjustment, and riding style.

David Staton can give you the weight of his gear box. What I can tell you is this, there is zero drag while peddling due to the left side freewheel on the chain drive. The power limit on the Staton unit is much higher that the GEBE, I,m running 4.2 hp with no problem. The friction drive is a problem on wet hills. On flat ground, it will work fine wet, unless you get heavy handed on the throttle. Tire life will be very good provided roller tension is always set correctly. Too little tension will ruin a tire quickly.

No Tricks, No Magic

The GEBE system is simple and very reliable. Still, it does offer ways to improve its efficiency.

But, not to undermine asking questions and the absolutely invaluable, time saving, exceptional and unique help and advice on this site, one original suggestion needs repeating.

A couple of the NEWER members should take the time to review the material on GEBE and the other systems and study the material. It is why the more senior members have posted the information.

Use the search engine and cruise around patiently. amazing stuff here.

For what it is worth, if there is a GEBE rider who has switched to another mode, save for hair-raising and dangerous power riding or because they have a particular frame or project going, I have yet to note it, while the reverse it true. However, that statement is not intended to start a flame session. We all have reasons for our preferences and they are usually obvious.

I happen to like simple and reliable; and like to ride slow, light and motor free - often.

When I began to think about a motored bike, this site did not exist and I decided on choice after doing some extensive on-line research. I guessed right, sort of, and made correct choice. (I still had to go to switch motors to a more powerful engine to cruise up hill, as most know, with the help of this board. I also went from cruiser to bent to the CF I now use, learning as I went along, which is the ultimate teacher, experience, and the information I found here.)

Basic advice is likely already posted, all you have to do is add you and your choices.

Now, I have to put the kettle on, it is still below zero here.

I absolutely agree with Hive on all points. I disagree about the power limit on the GEBE kit.(Shocked?) That last statement is contrary to statements made by many people on this site. Rider habits and lack of good maintenance is what breaks spokes, ruins engines, causes wheel rims to bend and a host of other problems. Use a small amount of throttle at slow speeds until you have some momentum after which you can advance the throttle (even on the bigger engines) without much worry.
Large people with heavy loads need to pedal more and get bigger spokes mounted on their bikes. As has been said many times, if you ride your bike like a motorcycle then buy a M/Cycle.
Big engines get you up steep hills with less pedaling but if you have light spokes you will need to pedal more. Want more speed? Install the highway gear but remember you are on a bicycle and it won't stop as quick as a motorcycle or a car. For instance, you are traveling behind a car at 45 mph and he decides to stop on a yellow light at the last minute. You will probably stop too when you hit the back of his car.
I weigh 200+lbs and run a R/S 035 GEBE. 1400 miles on it and the Schwinn. Same tires that came with the bike. Same 14g spokes. No wear on the belt or clutch at this point. Tires look like new. I pedal on every start and help the engine up hills. I very seldom go over 18/20 mph with the trail gear. I check the integrity of the bike and engine after every ride and tighten things up.
In about 20 years I will be 92 and plan on having this thing buried with me.

I guess you could run any engine if you don't use the throttle. I can stand on mine any where, any speed, nothing breaks. Staton drive train would probably handle 10 hp or more. Sorry but 18 mph ain't in my plan, neither is pumping up hills with my 250 lbs.

Kenspice

Gets It!

Kerf will get no arguments from me. Seems to me easing into it is the only way to go, if only to save downtime, regardless of system-which, BTW, is mentioned as good advice umpteen times on this site.

No doubt, the systemKerf uses gives him what he wants. That is what all of us want.

I just prefer simple with occasional power to get up hill, others want to cruise to play and work. Whatever it takes, without doing anyone harm.

Time is the factor that makes the difference, and using the references on this board efficiently, which was the point I was suggesting new members consider, before asking questions and becoming frustrated when the responses seem anemic or absent altogether.

But, then again, it is winter and without the give and take, this board might dry up.

Now, if I could figure out a way to power up my Nordic skates, we might have something to do in the fargin cold...

At least it is not darkish like where Alaskavan lives. But, what a great excuse to hang out in the local pub...or to own one!

Absolutely! Everyone buys either what they can afford or what they think is the easiest to install or the most economical to own. Each will treat his or her bicycle differently for the same reasons no one is completely right or wrong. Many will be happy with what they purchase and some will change to something else. All have their pluses and drawbacks. Some want to help the engine and stay in shape and others want more help from the engine and could care less about their shape. Kirf enjoys his bike and loves his riding style as do I. So it is the newbie that can learn what to expect and gains from our banter. We can vent at times and also express our happiness and at the same time learn from each other. Kirf has helped me in many instances and has my appreciation for that. So, have fun and enjoy your ride and have a happy new year. May be that you can use Bush's rebate to buy a new motored bike. Unfortunately for him he will get less gas tax if you do that! Hee Hee!

Rebate?

I agree...did not mean to sound "venty" was just making observations.

Yes, the game is on!

Off topic, sorry, but - You get the money (rebate), then pay taxes on it later, and, meanwhile, the country goes further into the ground and it starts over again. If we all created bikes using the same logic, none would be riding...

I hope someone can use their rebate to buy a bike, I'll be using mine to pay my 2007 income tax bill. Hope they hurry!

Back