How Does the GEBE System Work?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by smapadatha, Jul 21, 2007.

1. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

"heck i'll promote them GEBE rocks!

Attached Files:

<
  2. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

Nice Bike beach cruzin! I see a tanaka (PF-4000??) doing what it's best for, touque'n through all terain without any problems. Humm.... tht bike looks close to mine. BTW, I like all the mods too.

3. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

4. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

5. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

schwalbe is on the list for sure augi has set they are nice i am runing a set of heng shin [or somthing like that]kevlar beltet knoby's for now with the wet and muddy season my next set is a pair of marathon's for sure:helmet: as far as the lighting goes i just remeber to plug the battery in every night seems to be the most reliable system i've had the generaters burn out quikly at these speeds and lighting is not that great the 12v 55wt halogen head light i got rocks 12 8a bettery last for about hour wich is plenty enough to get hone at after dark

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  6. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

I don't know what else you could do to that bike to make reliable. I notice one of your GEBE friends has a chinese motors on bike. How does it stack up to the Tanaka?

7. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

i have a 49cc chinese first of it mixes 20-1 so that shows the quality but the tourq is awesome and seen a top speed of 38.4 then it throws out of balance and slows back down its funny ive only got 70 or so miles on it and now dont how long it will last lol but it is fun :jester: i'm running the tanaka most of time just so i know i will get there and back pluss the 49 needs a new jug intake threads are gone and the intake is craked love that quality:grin5:

8. ollicat

ollicat Member

Question about GEBE

I just installed my GEBE system out last night and took it for a 20 mile test drive today. I really like it over all. Here is my question and pardon me for my elementary terminology. The lever that engages and disengages the belt drive - when it is engaged and I am riding, it tends to bounce around. Even on a level surface with a constant throttle, the tension roller bounces up and down about 1/2" creating a feeling like one is going over little bumps. Is this normal? If not, how do I correct it?

While riding, I can hold the lever to keep the tension roller in place and all is good.

Thanks for the help.

9. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

Call Dennis and Julia and they can give you better advice than me, otherwise Check to see if the ring is properly centered. I did not have to install the drive ring because I bought the kit with the 105G velocity rim. (Take my advice buy the 105G rim and you will never be sorry.)

10. ollicat

ollicat Member

I will call them today. But I am using the rim from Golden Eagle so I hope that is not the cause.

11. ollicat

ollicat Member

Golden Eagle says that some bouncing on the tension adjuster is normal. So I think I am OK

12. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

great !! please post your results just in case one of us has the same problem.

13. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yes

If the tensioner did not move it would not be doing it's job.
    It's supposed to bob up and down. let it ... don't try to tie it down like some folks have !!!!!

14. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

To tell you the truth, I am so busy keeping an eye on the road to notice what the tensioner is doing back there. I hate road rash at 30+ MPH (LOL)

15. ollicat

ollicat Member

Did anyone have any trouble with the GEBE throttle? The throttle seems very nice, but I can't get it to stay tight on the handlebars. I have regular 7/8" handlebars.

16. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yes I had throttle trouble

I got rid of that stupid clip and got a hose clamp at home depot.

much better !!!! I had a little trouble finding one that wasn't to wide.
    and then I kinda had to force it a little bit to get it through the throttle housing... Also try to get one that won't have much excess sticking out so you dont have to cut it. You don't want any sharp edges...

:grin5:

17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Does anyone know the inside diameter of the gear on the engine driveshaft? Is it 1/2" ID? Is there a keyway?

I need the gear's specs for a home project.:idea:

18. bgtreefrogs

bgtreefrogs New Member

I just installed a GEBE kit within the last month. My answer to the inside the frame kit would have to be NO...I see no way for that to work with their engine mounts. For that matter, with any universal engine (Honda, Tanaka, etc) they are just too wide. Now if there was a way to mount their small drive gear to like a Grubee Skyhawk kit, you may be in business, but you should keep the distance between that gear and the plastic wheel the same. You would also have to work out something for a belt tensioner. Overall, the kit really is easy, IF the bike has clearance in all the right places. I worked for weeks to install this on a $600 700c hybrid bike...lots of modifications. In the process I had a $99 Wal-mart bike with 26" 36-hole wheels, and it went on in 30 minutes. Far superior to a friction drive...I don't even think you can compare the two.

19. seanhan

seanhan Member

I don't see....

Any reason to try to frame mount a GEBE !!!!!!!
    I want mine behind me !!!!!!!
    IMHO that's the only place to mount a engine on a bike ...
    Rack Mount !!!!!

20. jamey_270

jamey_270 New Member

Couldn't you just buy a drive ring, belt, and drive gear from GEBE and fabricate the mounts yourself for a third of the cost? What problems might I run into if I try to do this? Also what engines would be best suited for the task. I'm trying to get a quality setup as inexpensively as possible.