How Does the GEBE System Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other note about drive rollers. If your using a dry road one and it rains if you carry the wet/slippery road one with you it can be swapped out in about 1 or 2 minites.

Yea good info. The DE always looked like the best friction system. I will definitely consider it for its light weight and special options.

pumpbuilder, you sure know yer friction-drive...

seems to me you could do a new-topic called "How Does the DE System Work?"...i'm sure it would be welcome ;)

Thanks. Friction drive is all I've ever really used beside's some quick spins on some chains and belts. I'm really trying to get Rob to do the post on it but he is always too busy building kits and as he puts it to me the other day, "if nobody is asking questions about how to run them then my guide that comes with them must be good enough."

Frankly I think he is missing out on sales by not having something here but on the other hand I guess he stays busy enough, lol.

Its a good idea, I will see if a moderator wants me to and will make it a sticky like this then I will, otherwise its a lotta work and gets buried.

Frame Clearance

I have a Schwinn Surbuban that's about 5 or 6 years old. I just measured out about 8" verticaly from the center of the rear axle, and from that point, I have less than an inch horizontaly from tangent point on spoke to tangent point on bike frame. I don't think the frame can be bent out far enough to accomedate the 1.5 inches from the width of the drive wheel. So...if I want to install one of these kits, what are my options short of buying a new bike ?
Thanks !

Hey PChop,

Short of taking a picture of that rear part of the frame, what tire size is on the Suburban? Or can you find a link with a picture of the frame?

If it's thin tires, (I just saw a Schwinn a guy wanted to convert yesterday, and could see right off the bat there were troubles).

Are you buying a GEBE wheel or getting your own 12 gauge from a bikeshop?

Very Satisfied With My GEBE Setup

After having a few minor hiccups, I can finally say that my GEBE is working to perfection!

I had some rear wheel and drive ring issues that were resolved by ordering a wheel from GEBE with the drive ring installed. I highly recommend that any new kit purchaser pop for the 105ga rear wheel. It's worth the investment.

I had some belt tracking issues that were fixed by carefully aligning the drive gear (the one on the clutch assy) per GEBE's instructions. I used some thin washers as spacers and that did the trick. The belt wanders some, which is normal, so you may have to take a few stabs at it to get it right.

I recommend that you start with a good quality bike. I used a moderately priced Novara Metro that I picked up on sale. A cheap bike could put you in danger when cruising at nearly 30mph.

Other than keeping after normal maintenance my bike is trouble free, and is running like a champ! Best of all it's quiet (no noisy chain), clean (no chain lube mess) and a blast to ride.

Last edited:
I just talked to GEBE and the same 105ga spoke rear wheel as they sell for rim brakes is now available with a disc brake hub.

easy

Listen I don't know the first thing about gebe or whatever this new kit is, but I don't think the guys plan was to advertise, I think that he has a back door into the company for whatever reason and he is offering us this as a service to help those who have the kit. Cut the guy a break, I read the add more as an invitation to ask for help as opposed to an advertisment. I had never even heard of this company now I have and for me that has much more benifit than accusing the guy of advertising. Its not his company and I highly doubt that he is getting a cut of any sales. He is just getting out information to those of us that can use it.

hi malibu11731 :)

this topic was given a "sticky" because it truly is an un-affliated un-solicited MBc-Member contribution, and a darn good one it is, eh?

the Golden Eagle drive isn't new by a long shot, but it's cool you've discovered it...for the "assist-kit" purist there's none better imo.

Den's MB experience:
The chief engineer here at Golden Eagle designed the friction drive unit that was chosen as "Official Transportation" at the Knoxville Worlds Fair in 1980. Having worked on friction drives for several years he became acutely aware of the pitfalls and drawbacks of this type of design SO it was back to the drawing board.

The first prototype we built was made from the belt off a cloths dryer, weed trimmer engine and oyster-serving tray. Now, after years of design changes and testing, he has come up with a design we consider better then anything on the market. Better performance, better mileage, less wear on the engine and bicycle.

also of note is that GEBE is the first & therefore longest standing MBc-Sponsor...at the moment, i don't believe anyone active on the board has any financial stake in promoting GEBE, but you'll notice that most folks who have one around here are always happy to help good people (who become good friends) who offer good products...

:cool:

I also purchased the rear wheel (w/105 g spokes) with my kit because the ring gear was professionally installed, hence cutting the installation time down to less that one hour. Very nice staff . Oh BTW , I did not buy the engine from them,and they still gave me top service. I am not promoting them, just passing along my experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back