How Does the GEBE System Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i spoke too quickly (so, what else is new?)

I'd say NO, you wouldn't want to disengage on the fly...
and i have to agree...i've never wanted to, and altho you can, i shouldn't have advised it.

once the engine's at idle, the clutch is disengaged. personally, i kill the engine & pedal with the belt engaged quite often...even with a single-speed coaster, i have no problem pedaling.

i agree, there's no real reason to disengauge the belt, and the engine will not turn over while pedaling, the centrifical clutch takes care of that, if the engine is not running it will not engage at peddling speeds. Not really sure what would happen if you could peddle at 30 or 40 mph though.

Ok I see, same old centrifugal clutch problem for me, I have to slow down before it disengages. I own some of these and I always look for way around it (Staton freewheel I guess if I want to add an extra ten LBS and do away with me rear disk).

I would really like to come over the top of a big hill and coast like the wind without slowing way down first.

I guess a manual clutch would be best for me if there is such a thing on these rack mounts.

I'm picky...the search goes on.

Ok I see, same old centrifugal clutch problem for me, I have to slow down before it disengages. I own some of these and I always look for way around it (Staton freewheel I guess if I want to add an extra ten LBS and do away with me rear disk).

I would really like to come over the top of a big hill and coast like the wind without slowing way down first.

I guess a manual clutch would be best for me if there is such a thing on these rack mounts.

I'm picky...the search goes on.

There is a manual, disengage on the fly unit that weigh's in at about 11 or 12 lbs,[Total kit weight engine and all.] if I remember the weight correctly. Its what I have used since 92', the Dimension Edge Encore is the model. It does just what you want, has no clutch or belt to go wrong. Your gonna love it.

Last edited:
There is a manual, disengage on the fly unit that weigh's in at about 11 or 12 lbs,[Total kit weight engine and all.] if I remember the weight correctly. Its what I have used since 92', the Dimension Edge Encore is the model. It does just what you want, has no clutch or belt to go wrong. Your gonna love it.

Ya they look nice but I just cant see going friction on my terrain. I have a Staton friction and you cant beat it for certain things like flats but.....I would like to test one out though.

Thanks

Well as far as terrain goes I used to have an 1.5 mile hill right behind my house that would vary from 4% to 8% grade. On this bike with me weighing about 185 it would pull me up engine only from 5-10 mph as long as I was doing about 10 thru the turn at the base and got it up to about 20 before the steep started, about 1 block so IDK about any issues with hills that you have with the Stanton, the DE is a different design. I can't compare it to Stanton since I have only used DE's for 17 years. Currently on my 4th and the others were all running when I gave them away. This one, Encore 43cc I bought the month before the the last space shuttle crashed so I guess its six years old.

Last edited:
Well as far as terrain goes I used to have an 1.5 mile hill right behind my house that would vary from 4% to 8% grade. On this bike with me weighing about 185 it would pull me up engine only from 5-10 mph as long as I was doing about 10 thru the turn at the base and got it up to about 20 before the steep started, about 1 block so IDK about any issues with hills that you have with the Stanton, the DE is a different design. I can't compare it to Stanton since I have only used DE's for 17 years. Currently on my 4th and the others were all running when I gave them away. This one, Encore 43cc I bought the month before the the last space shuttle crashed so I guess its six years old.

What is so different about the DE? I'm interested but never liked thier site so didnt pay much attention. What is the difference with thier rollers?

About how many tires do you go through? Your welcome to post or PM me.

The Differance

The main difference as I see it is how the system engages the tire. The stanton friction type uses a frame that had been around for decades where by you use some sort of locking mechanisum to "affix" the drive system with preasure onto the tire. This makes it a rigid system and more difficult to balance preformance with changing road conditions. It is also why I think you hear about bearing complaints with the other friction drive systems.

The DE friction drive "floats" on the tire with a self adjusting tensioning device that keeps the proper amount of preasure on the tire w/o overdoing it. I think it is much like a "self tensioning" belt system for keeping belt riders from shedding belts.

Roller wise he has three options, wood ones that you can get from him or he will explain how to make your own, Eurathane for a cool look [what I use], and an "all weather" one that will raise the tire wear a lot but works in rain, snow, and mud. The other guys use that knurled metal one that I have seen get hot enough to melt cheap buytle tires.

Tire wear. If you use knobby tires they get smooth fast, lol. If you buy "blue light specials" that are not real rubber they wear out fast. I have always used "police or Trick Bike" tires that are high preassure rated and with a road tread. They need to be made from real genuine rubber just like an auto tire. Anymore as I don't ride as much one tire lasts a year or two, at worst I went thru 2 tires a year but I buy my tires from Rob at DE, call him and ask him how many miles he thinks you should get based on how you want to drive it.

He does his own web design, I hear from a lot of guys here it seems they don't like his page. Call him and tell him what you like about others page's.

So in a nutshell besides an engine and that its friction drive it is completly different from the other's on the market. All of the mounting stuff he makes himself and he uses higher quality and where torqe is applied larger diameter parts. For folks that use centrifical clutchs, [ I don't.], he even makes them in house. Frankly with his system you don't need a clutch but he offers a better one for folks that "insist" on being like everyone elses.

Like you I want zero drag when pedaling and when I want my engine I want it now without stopping or doing gymnastics on a moving bicycle.

One other note about drive rollers. If your using a dry road one and it rains if you carry the wet/slippery road one with you it can be swapped out in about 1 or 2 minites.

pumpbuilder, you sure know yer friction-drive...

seems to me you could do a new-topic called "How Does the DE System Work?"...i'm sure it would be welcome ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back