How fast will I go?

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
5:56 AM
72cc big bore engine, 48 mm bore, 40 mm stroke. VM18 carb with OZ reed and UNI filter, windowed piston and banana pipe, also a saucer type high compression head with a NGK B5HS. The bike used will most likely be a Micargi predator. Any speed estimates? I'm 200 lbs and will probably either use a 36 t or a 40 tooth.

The head is a poor choice other than that nobody could say. I'd presume 35mph would be about what to expect though faster is possible just not so easy. 44t on a 26in single speed with a normal 66 would get me up around 28-29 topping on a flat but standard head, 20-25 was easiest to hold and I am only slightly heavier than you.

Micargi bikes tend to have wider wheels, I was using a normal 1.5in tire with a single speed so the Micargi will probably have more rolling resistance in the tires, that will take a tiny bit of top speed away. If you jackshaft you should be able to get 50mph without much issue.

The tires are 2.1 inch w sherrifs
Not bad, I ran bumpy tires too so that helps a bit, the more surface contact the more friction generated so less speed, those are a happy medium and serfas is a decent enough brand. I also like the handling in rain, the tread really sheds water and so turns and braking is pretty optimal on roads when soaked. Dry weather handling is fine too, but slicks always do better in terms of control on roads, still I don't only use roads since I'm not beyond using shortcuts on hilled and grassed spot fillers between roads and junctions when on a motorized bike, it doesn't do damage like a dirt bike so even park stretches are easily hurdled.

You riding a micargi makes me think you might not even go off road with it, I know if I built that type of bike I wouldn't even want to take it out in the rain let alone getting a little nuts on non paved surfaces..

Knobby tires look cooler in my opinion as well, they have a sort of formidable look to them, almost like the impression you get from looking at a Honda ruckus, it just feels like a more capable machine (and really is, terrain and weather lose a lot of limits since the tires can pull through most everything.)

Knobby tires also set a natural speed limit over slicks in turns, knobs slip sooner than slicks in turns in dry conditions, a rider gets used to this slower handling in turns making it actually safer all round. That 'slower' attitude gets put across the whole driving spectrum in general so as to actually make the experience more safe. Then to top it off when bad road conditions come up knobs handle the change rather well while slicks are affected more by gravel, sand, mud, oil, water, tons of water, leaves, grass, snow, etc.

Yeah the tires are pretty good but they have a single row of tread right in the center and I feel like it rides on that most of the time. I was thinking if I could use a rear disc brake too and ditch the coaster brake. The chain sometimes rubs the bolt that holds the coaster brake arm. I have the rear mag, never used it. I would just have to find out how to space it right and maybe have to get one of the disc brake adapters. I think the bike would look better with matching wheels. I was thinking of getting some Maxxis hookworms when these wear down.

I was thinking of getting some Maxxis hookworms when these wear down.
What about the Halo Twin Rail II 26x2.2 Dual Compound with "puncture protection system"? Recommended max 50psi off road, 85psi on road. Best of both worlds? :D
DSC_0072.JPG

Back