How fast will it go?

T

try1897

I get asked that question more than any other except maybe How much did it cost. Well yesterday during my afternoon ride I got asked again and this time the guy doing the asking happened to be my neighbor who is a deputy sheriff. Thats our equiv- to a county cop. Anyway after a fairly long conversation about the bike and its legality he assured me that he wasn't going to bust me for anything, and in fact he wants to buy one himself, we desided to test it out. So we took his patrol car down to the nearest flat stretch of road and he clocked me at 34mmph on the hand held gun and 36mph on the in car equipt. I made two passes and the results were about the same. Now that was sitting upright and not laying down on the tank like I used to ride years ago so you could prob. squezze a few more mph out of it considering wind resistance etc. Also you gotta realize that I weigh 250lbs. so I'd say that 35 average is not to shabby. Now I reallllllly want the 36 tooth sprocket and have started droping change in an old jar to save up for it. ................. T inWV

I'd like to know how you guys get the high speed numbers. I weigh 160# and have a 70cc with a 36t rear sprocket and my max speed is still only 32 MPH.

I have no idea how fast I was going coming down from the 4,000 feet altitude of the Oklahoma panhandle/High Chapperel, dropping into a series of 3 LOOOONG declines, but when it hit near bottom the engine "screamed" like I'M FREE. And I could feel a noticable difference.

The funny thing is, on my 25 cc GEBE, my neighbor with digital dashboard has followed me over milelong straightaways many times, the avg. is 33, once hit 34, with the heavy Sun Cruiser frame.

When we timed the 40 cc over 3 miles, he said "34" was the fastest it ever went.

I weigh about 210lb and with 44T i can go about 25mph~30mph.
I'm going to put 36T and see how fast it will pull me.

I got the schwinn speedometer and the damn thing broke RIGHT AFTER I THREW AWAY THE BOX... so I don't know my top speed yet and I don't really think the digital speedos give you an accurate speed.

Different engines, different speeds, dependant upon my set-up.
I weigh in at 125 and when I get into my 'speed tuck' i can squeze a couple of more outta the bike.
On my 1905 Mead (2003 Whizzer, restrictors removed, 28" wheels)My top speed on the flat with no head wind was 43.5. Coming down out of the grand tetons, the support truck clocked me @55M.P.H.-
But i had to slow it down as the front wheel was lifting and 'skating' the road surface. Those 1.5 tires didn't have a lot of surface area anyway, and if I went down at that speed, well, you know...
it was sure fun as all git though!!!
With this new one (Whizzer NE5) I'm hoping to break 60 M.P.H.
I'm betting she can do it, it's been heavily (but conservatively) built up.
We'll see how she does. I'll lose a bit through the suspended front forks and fatter tires, but I don't think it'll be enough to matter...
:D
Rif

Oh yeah, I forgot to reply about the plusses of having a cool cop for a neighbor!!!
That rocks!
Rif

I weight appx 135 and was on a 70cc with the standard 44t on an old steel cruiser. The kit was broken in very liberally (ie: minimal patience)
A fairly accurate/trustworthy Trek comp marked 29.8 top speed, flat, in crouch, no wind, mid-high 50s (F) (plus we are about 1000 feet above sea level)
Okay, so all those factors probably don't contribute too much, but full throttle downhill, in a crouch pulled me up to just over 36mph.
This is still running the break-in mixture (20:1?, I don't recall) and the throttle has got to be backed off a tad to reach warp speed; it bogs a bit wide open.
I feel confident that a cruising speed of 30ish will be possible with a change of the mixture, new plug (hotter possibly?) and some other fine tuning.

Back