How hard is it to peddle with engine off (GEBE)?

T

turkeyssr

I wanted to know how difficult it is to pedal with the (GEBE) engine off. Due to NO motorized bicycles being allowed on bicycle paths, I figured with the engine off, it would be acceptable to travel on the path. Thoughts? Thanks - John

It's quite easy if you flip the lever and release the belt tension. Even easier if you pop the belt off and tie it up out of the way.

Moth

Celebrating one month of non-smoking, it better get even easier !

I ran out of gas a mile from the house, (foothills mind you). Sheeeesh, the ONLY time, vowed to NEVER do that again....

I like the seven speed bikes because when I do pedal on sidewalks, it gives me enough options to be relatively easy.

But I bet, in total, besides that running out of gas episode, the total distance I have pedaled would maybe be twice around a football feild.

bamabikeguy said:

I ran out of gas a mile from the house, (foothills mind you). Sheeeesh, the ONLY time, vowed to NEVER do that again....

I like the seven speed bikes because when I do pedal on sidewalks, it gives me enough options to be relatively easy.

But I bet, in total, besides that running out of gas episode, the total distance I have pedaled would maybe be twice around a football feild.

Oh, the agony of running out of gas a few miles from home, in a bad city, with no pedals...

Never get stuck in El Monte, CA :(

bamabikeguy said:

The first time I quit it got easier after the first month. Stayed off for 8 years.

Jerry

Jerry,

I just thought of something else after your e-mail about the SunBike....(Comfort Model).

http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/bicycles/comfortBikes/select/comfortSelect.htm

The different tire sizes/widths do make a difference, BUT I think you could ask the bike dealer to switch out the handlebars from straight to curved. That makes a big comfort diff.

The cool thing of having a thumb throttle is being able to slip a wire or rubber band over it and free up your right hand on long straightaways....

Like I said, for the biggest part, fenders aren't much help at 30 mph anyway, you are gonna get wet when riding on wet roads, but the motor cover on the back tire is going to deflect some water from your back.

(oh, and to put pictures in posts, or use quotes, switch OFF "Disable BBCode in this post")
If you don't catch it in Preview, you can go back and UNcheck that box in Edit. I have all 4 boxes unchecked, which can be adjusted in your profile.

I haven't switched on my signature since Oct. Wonder if it still works??

Ride on the bike path?

So does anyone dare ride on the bike path? Some portions of the bike path in Monterey are quite isolated, but the signage is clear. It's probably not the wisest thing to do, tempting the law and all.

If it's not clear whether it's legal, I wouldn't ride on the bike paths while using engine power. Enjoy the quiet and disengage your engine.

Moth

bamabikeguy said:

This coming Monday will be 3 weeks for me nonsmoking, woo hoo.

Fight the Man !!

Here is your STRONGEST legal leg to stand on.

This morning I posted a tirade from Seattle, about some Bridge built in the 1950's or 1960's, NOT bike friendly.

http://www.sightline.org/daily_score/archive/2007/04/26/the-weakest-link-bicycle-neglect-2

First: there is a distinction between a EXERCISE PATH (don't go on these), or a KIDDIE PARK (don't go on these).

If a cop stops you, tell him those are the two verboten to Motor Assisted Bikes.

So does anyone dare ride on the bike path? Some portions of the bike path in Monterey are quite isolated, but the signage is clear. It's probably not the wisest thing to do, tempting the law and all.

Now, if you are using the bike to commute to work or school, and the bike path is used ONE WAY/IN TRANSIT , plus you feel safer, then that is great justification, the type of precedence we need to note.

We can keep the list, right here on MB.com, "Problem Areas".

If it's not clear whether it's legal, I wouldn't ride on the bike paths while using engine power. Enjoy the quiet and disengage your engine

Last September, right before joining MB.com I encountered my first Rails to Trails, from Jacksonville AL to Piedmont AL. 33 miles long now, the Chief Ladiga Trail is supposed to join up with another crossing into Georgia.

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/detail...-4681638e4c27&lat=32.682499&lon=-86.65139&t=3

Signs are POSTED, BICYCLES/PEDESTRIANS ONLY, NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES.

Now, the INTENT of that "motor"restriction IN NO WAY applies to US.
We are using BICYCLES on taxpayer financed properties. We need the engines to MAXIMIZE the bicycle benefit.

Practice courtesy, slow down/coast near pedestrians, use your brains in city limits. ZERO littering.

BUT DO NOT LET THEM PUSH YOU OFF A COMMUTER TRAIL WITHOUT A COURT FIGHT.

Think about it. You are in MB.com, early founder of a movement, and it is better to get your area Motor Assisted Bike friendly, for the folks that are going to follow your lead.

Read Thatsdax' Federal/legal guidelines specific to OUR movement. Don't let them put you in the category of pocket rockets or off road ATV's. Use path's wisely, but don't let them push you around if you are NOT abusing the pathways.

Back