How long can "China doll" hold at WOT? Also, high altitude (+gear reductions and "too lean?")

I went on a long endurance test ride last night, 25-ish miles in loops around home. I'm happy to report no malice in the palace.

I have 6-volt lamps on the dark ABQ Westside streets and FOD-ridden bike lanes; talk about a test of damn courage! It's a good thing I have cat eyes because I might as well have had no lamps! 6 volts is useful for DRL, being seen, nothing more lol. Luckily, I have this teeny-tiny buck stepper coming tomorrow that I plan to solder into the headlamp. I've tested my lamp on 12 volts and it is as bright as a 4wheeler headlamp. If it blows, then I'll just get a 12v E10 bulb with double the wattage which if my horrible math is correct would give me about 6-times the light-flux of 6v 2.4W. Maybe I'll go halogens, but my polarity is too reversed for LEDs.

I went on a long endurance test ride last night, 25-ish miles in loops around home. I'm happy to report no malice in the palace.

I have 6-volt lamps on the dark ABQ Westside streets and FOD-ridden bike lanes; talk about a test of damn courage! It's a good thing I have cat eyes because I might as well have had no lamps! 6 volts is useful for DRL, being seen, nothing more lol. Luckily, I have this teeny-tiny buck stepper coming tomorrow that I plan to solder into the headlamp. I've tested my lamp on 12 volts and it is as bright as a 4wheeler headlamp. If it blows, then I'll just get a 12v E10 bulb with double the wattage which if my horrible math is correct would give me about 6-times the light-flux of 6v 2.4W.
Probably has a lumen 🕯 rating on the bulb 💡 package.

When it comes to blubs, you do have to stick with the volt rating or it will blow.
Oh, I'm almost certain it will blow. I left it on a 12-volt variable wall wart for 2 hours to test my wiring harness, so I'll see how long it will last with the buck stepper, but I'm not betting on too much longer; a few more hours at most. I'm already shopping around for 12-volt bulbs lol. Either that or they just use the same bulbs for the 6-volt and 12-volt dynamo lamps and stamp them as 6v 2.4W. On 12v it actually looks like a 12-volt lamp.

Sounds good then. I just got chased by a pedal biker "ay bro, where did you get that engine?" that whole song. I helicoiled the original engine and put it on a bike for a customer already. I like my speedo other than it being metric. I've put too much modding into it to let it go for a digital, even if it isn't pinpoint accurate. Since I have an 80's bike, the 0-80 Km/H range is reminiscent of the automobile speedos of the time that had an 0-80 MPH range. Mira:
View attachment 178337

I have that very same speedo (minus the digital thing in there) ... and with a 26" wheel it is very inaccurate.

I had it... my digital speedo and my wifes phone and went on a ride...

The digital speedo max speed came in at 33.4mph ... my wifes phone max speed showed 33.6mph max speed ... the analog speedo made it up to over 60kph ... about 62-63kph. Well.. that would be 38-39mph. It was WAY off. That means the odometer reading was way off too...

Those speedo's (or at least the one I got) are simply not accurate.

I have that very same speedo (minus the digital thing in there) ... and with a 26" wheel it is very inaccurate.

I had it... my digital speedo and my wifes phone and went on a ride...

The digital speedo max speed came in at 33.4mph ... my wifes phone max speed showed 33.6mph max speed ... the analog speedo made it up to over 60kph ... about 62-63kph. Well.. that would be 38-39mph. It was WAY off. That means the odometer reading was way off too...

Those speedo's (or at least the one I got) are simply not accurate.
Not only that, but the needle is very bouncy. When I passed a very accurate speed trailer, it showed 17 while my speedo showed 20 MPH.

Not only that, but the needle is very bouncy. When I passed a very accurate speed trailer, it showed 17 while my speedo showed 20 MPH.
If you ever decide to ditch the analog retro looks and exchange it for accuracy and no bouncing needle...lol...You could always try the one I am presently using...Just remember to always use a resistor plug with this one since it is ultra sensitive as I found out when I was using the non-resistor NGKs...lol...At one point it told me that I was doing 99 MPH as well as bouncing back and forth with different speeds, second by second...lol...It needs a resistor plug.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you ever decide to ditch the analog retro looks and exchange it for accuracy and no bouncing needle...lol...You could always try the one I am presently using...Just remember to always use a resistor plug with this one since it is ultra sensitive as I found out when I was using the non-resistor NGKs...lol...At one point it told me that I was doing 99 MPH as well as bouncing back and forth with different speeds, second by second...lol...It needs a resistor plug.

The ones you recommended earlier were resistor plugs, correct?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back