How long can you run these engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmiejane

Local time
2:11 AM
My question is simple, I hope there is a simple answer. How long can you run these type of engines once it is worn in? I'd like to do a 500 mile (one way) trip on a bicycle. The idea of an engine to propel me a lot, if not all of that distance is what has lead me to this website.

the answer is simple: till it blows up. its really not that simple it really all depends on how you run it. if you are taking long trips will you be taking alot of breaks to rest the engine? there are just so many variables that it is hard to give a solid answer

moved from the techie section...and, yes, you need to "introduce yourself"...it's polite and it's policy :)

Well, I keep reading here and there, that these engines are only good for about 2 hours before having to fix them. 2hours times 35 miles is every 70 miles having to fix or repair doesn't sound good to me... especially when going 500 miles total.

Like I said, I'm new.

i rode one (dax 70) 165 miles in one day. averaged about 27mph with a heavy load. stopped every hour to let it cool down and take a break myself. the only mishap was a flat rear tire due to my failure to spot pre-existing damage.

now that you know that, i'll say this (a 2-pt personal opinion)...first, if you average 35mph (the top reasonable expectation) for 500 miles, you won't have to worry about repairing it, you may well be replacing it. second, i personally wouldn't buy a 2-stroke HT if my primary goal was long-distance running...permanent damage has a way of sneaking up on you with the little bangers.

huh, i guess both parts said the same thing in different ways...oh well.

I have done 20 to 30 mile runs pretty much flat out with a stop in the middle.. the engine I have doesnt seem to have a problem with that.

You mention 500 miles as a marker - I have easily done that overall and no problems. However trust me you wont manage 500 miles flat out on a cyclemotor in one go whatever happens.. its probably best to run for maybe 2 hours at most in a period. that would give you 70 miles and will be within tolerances for the motor and for your poor battered body..

With the dropped bars I have on my bike and a roughish road my wrists start to hurt around the 10-15 mile mark or so - thats with a bike with front suspension...

So far as durability is concerned - assuming that you run the machine with the right oil ratio and a good oil you should be ok... in point of fact with a quality engine.. which alot of the frame mounts really arent to be honest ... the total loss lubrication system means the engine is less likely to suffer wear from dross in the oil - a problem that the 4-strokes are more likely to suffer from. If you take care of an engine it can last years - I know of rudge and francis-barnett cyclemotors with Villiers engines that are still working mechanically perfectly after 40 years or so.

If you do go for a two stroke I might suggest getting hold of a tuned pipe for your engine. This will give you an increased top speed which will mean maintaining a cruise of 30mph will be less stress on the motor and therefore help with longevity... 30mph at 5500rpm is better than 30mph at 7-8000 rpm and it might even help MPG.

So far as type is concerned for the range you are talking about belt or chain drive will work. with belt drive you just need to keep a spare with you on long distances. Chains are dirtier, louder and if they munch they really tend to munch themselves and the wheel and possibly you.

As augi has said its a balance of both things as far as riding is concerned.. both the bike and you need a rest every so often. Also be sure that you have everything checked and tightened and that the brakes are up to the job... rim brakes *will* fade to almost uselessness in the wet - discs or drums are best.

hope that helps..

Jemma xx

I've done almost a full day's of riding on old mountain passes in Western Colorado. This has been at full throttle in summer temperatures going uphill for hours on end. I never shut my engine off to rest and left it running whenver I needed to take a nature break.

If you run a castor blended oil, you'll almost never need to worry about overheating provided your mixture is appropriate.

That term "letting your bike rest" gets me in the goads. Once you have reached maximum temperature, friction and compression, it should be more stable than letting it cool off and heating it up again. You know (expanding and contracting). I have to agree with Skyliner about the right synthetic oil could make all the difference in the world.
You don't stop to let your car or airplane rest! Like the element of a light bulb when you turn it on and off instead of leaving it on, is what causes it to burn out quicker.
JMHO

i love vague questions, because they always lead to differing opinions with no real answers. when i gave my engine a break, i also took the time to check bolts and such, which is an important aspect of happy-time ownership.

noone has yet proven anything about the (stock) HT except it doesn't like to run for long periods flat-out....search "death race" and ask yourself why roland called it that ;)

ps-here's the best "real" answer i can give: i bet my 2-stroke forced-air-cooling tanaka coulda made the 165 miles to iRide's place in one leap. i still don't think i could have, tho :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back