How long can you run these engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be a screw (possibly with a spring over it, held on by the head of the screw and the body of the carb) that adjusts the air/fuel mixture.

Not sure if this adjustment works on engines this small, but on a car, you screw it in until it seats (DO NOT TIGHTEN!), then back it out 2 complete turns.
Start the engine and screw it in slowly until the engine starts to sputter, then back it out slowly and stop when the idle smooths out.
Unscrew an extra quarter turn and that's your baseline.
Drive the bike around for a while and keep an eye on gas milage, how the engine acts, how the power feels and the colour of the plug (black = too rich) and adjust accordingly until you hit the point to where the engine seems to be running at its most efficient.

Dean

Last edited:
there should be, but there isn't: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4272

we should be careful what kind of info and advice we post...new people sometimes don't know it's incorrect or incomplete...

dean, no personal reflection on your info, after all you did qualify it with not knowing if it applies to the HT...it's correct for carby's with full-adjustment capabilities, but the basic HT carby is just that...basic.

Thanks augidog, I noticed that as well but instead of stepping on someones toes
I took the easy way out and figured someone would catch it.

there should be, but there isn't: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4272

we should be careful what kind of info and advice we post...new people sometimes don't know it's incorrect or incomplete...

dean, no personal reflection on your info, after all you did qualify it with not knowing if it applies to the HT...it's correct for carby's with full-adjustment capabilities, but the basic HT carby is just that...basic.

Augidog,

Thanks for the heads up.
I stand corrected.

Dean

YOu can take the finest engine in the world and run it wide open and at some point it will fail. The differenc will depend on how it is maintained. Take the same engine, run it half throttle and do the same maintenence, then the engine will last much longer. IF you take these little 2 strokes and run them wide open with a heavy weight, heat and friction will do what it does. Dont treat it laike a motorcycle, give it some pedal on hills and keep the revs down and they will last a long time. I saw a kid wiht a Tanaka 47 ccR engine on a GoPed blow the engine up. He added every tweek part he could to make the thing go fast and ran it wide open. He got about 3 weeks before the engine quit. Said the Tanaka was a piece of junk. NOthing about the fact he was using cheap 2 stroke oil, abused the poor thing then expected it to be a tank.
I am not a HT owner. I have a DE Scrubber with a Techumch 49cc engine on it. I have had no problems and it hauls my 270 pounds around a lot faster than I want to fall off. But I seldom run it wide open, assist on what passes here for hills and have a blast on the thing.

Wow, that was close Dean, I almost went out and drilled another jet hole in my carb.
Ha Ha! It's all gooood!!!

im using castrol tts oil, good i think? ive got a decent idea of a healthy rev range, on the flats my little 48cc 2stroke sounds like its getting a bit of hard work over 42kmph, sorry dont know mph? ive spent close to 8 years racing bicycles so can put some decent pressure on the paddals, on some climbs around the hills here in adelaide australia, maybe 3 to 6 kms long im riding at full throttle or close to but doing about 38kmph the revs actually sound good like the motor is singing, is this a bad thing?

mean lean,

I don't know anything about Castrol tts oil, but DBigKahunna gave some vrey good advice.
I'd say try to heed it when riding your bike.

BTW, according to my calculations, 42 clicks is just a smidge over 26 mph.
38 clicks is another smidge over 23.5 mph.

I worked that off the generally accepted understanding that 100 clicks = 62 mph.

------------------------------------------

Dockspa1,

I dont' understand your last reply.
How did my instructions on adjusting a/f mixture come across as me telling you to drill out the jet in your carb?

Dean

Dockspa1,

I dont' understand your last reply.
How did my instructions on adjusting a/f mixture come across as me telling you to drill out the jet in your carb?

Dean

I believe he was saying that in a joking manner. At least that's the way I took it. I chuckled a little at it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back