How long can you run these engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we've had tons of chuckles at our own expense over the HT carby, people have drilled holes in them, and sometimes they've gotten quite creative about the location of said hole..."time to order another" is usually the result :confused: :rolleyes:

say the word "drill" to a new-gearhead, before he knows it he has
a 1/2" bit chucked up & he's looking for something to "fix" :LOL::LOL:

sorry for the OT, it's sunday morning and i needed my own chuckle :)

seriously: in order to reliably travel or commute on a HT, i'd recommend optimising the stock setup instead of trying to boost "performance." that's opinion-only.

seriously: in order to reliably travel or commute on a HT, i'd recommend optimising the stock setup instead of trying to boost "performance." that's opinion-only.
Extremely sound advice that a large number of people tend to overlook, or just tend to skip, "because".
Not to get off subject (sorry if this does, Augi), but I still have a book that was put out by Hot Rod magazine back in the 60's called "Supertuning".
It was all about optimizing the efficiency of the V8 engines available back then, so that they'd perform at their absolute peak.
This train of thought could be transcribed to tuning up this carb and/or other makes, although I realize now that adjustments on the HT seem to be "rudimentary" at best.
What I've been pondering this morning, is if someone couldn't make their own needle (or modify the existing one) with finer graduations, say 6 or even 8 "catches", instead of the 4 that are already there.
From what I'm reading here (and in the link Augi provided earlier), that just might solve, or at least improve, a lot of the headaches people seem to be having with this carb.

Dean

my uncles would give my brother and i subscriptions to Hot Rod Magazine for birthdays...we had all those supplements, too...boy, did you dredge up some cool memories :)

to get a richer mix, add a washer under the clip on the needle...i can't see a HT running on anything leaner than the 1st slot anyways...and the needle has been successfully tapered by some...but now you're dragging me back down "that" road again...

"how long can you run 'em?" ...again, in the "stock" aspect...at the expense of fuel-economy, an oil-rich premix has been proven (locally) to prolong parts-life. the guys here have all decided that 25:1 (semi) plus a conservative riding style equals a longer happy-time :)

Ya, Dean, I was just being a smart Assk! Making a joke! Arg Arg, Laugh, Laugh!
And remember children, do not try this at home (drilling the carby) that is. Ha Ha!

In all seriousness, I agree with Augs, you should leave it stock if you want it to last and with Large and almost evryone else about the high price synthetic oil being a key factor in preserving the engine life.

I have a 25cc Red Max 2-stroke engine from GEBE. I purchased it about 4 years ago. I currently have around 7,500 miles on it. At around 6,500 miles I had the clutch replaced for around $40. I rode from Tucson to Winnemuca, NV one fall (1000) miles and the next year I rode from Seattle to Tucson taking the long way about which ran me around 2300 miles. I rode anywhere from 80-120 miles per day. Average speed was around 23-25mph. The bike I used weighs 65lbs, I weigh 125lbs and the Burley trailer I hauled was loaded for bear at 70-80lbs depending on food and water amounts. The engine ran like a charm with no problems. At 8,000 feet in Utah it lost a bit of power at the top of the pass but it still got me up there. A fine piece of work that engine. I love it. I'm currently planning on a 3,000 mile trip this year (2008) and am purchasing the 35cc Subaru mini 4-stroke. Quieter, a bit more power and no fussing with the oil gas mix. But I have no plans to abandon the two stroke. Like most things in life, if you take care of them, they'll last a good while.

zmiracle,

Kudos for being so adventurous with your bike.

Just out of curiosity, I figure you've got around 300-350 hours on your engine now (as of 7500mi.).
Besides the spark plug, have you had any issues with the ignition system?

Elvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back