How long does it take to start the engine on your first start?

Cold start - pull up choke, push tickler 3 times - pedal to 8 mph - pop clutch - 6 feet or aboout 1.5 secs.

Warm start - pedal to 8 mph - pop clutch - instant start.

James

If you mean your very first start on a fresh engine, about half way round the block.

My legs were caneing first time I fired my engine into life.

Half way round the block I stopped and started checking everything as I was sure I did something wrong during assembly. But then on the way back I decided to pop the clutch for the **** of it and after a couple of meters she spluttered into life.

Got home and the grin I had was worth it.

Not to be bragging but with a honda it takes a 1/4 pull on the rope or about 2 ft of riding it engaged. ZOOM ZOOM!

Can you give me a specific percedure on starting it correctly?

What exactly what do I have to do in order to have a correct start? Mines not starting.

The "tickler" is the little button that protrudes on the top left side of the carb bihind the air cleaner. It's the opposite of where the fuel hose nipple is.

I've read that some don't even mess with the tickler except to prime the carb after they run out of gas but I just push it every time I start the motor.

It's cold and somewhat humid here so it doesn't take long for my engine to cool down when I stop it so I use the choke as well from time to time on luke warm starts but always on cold starts.

Once it starts I open the choke and hold the throttle to allow it to idle fast at 2000 rpms for a half minute. Then I take off. It sputters for about a block during a cold start but then runs great.

Maybe I'll design a tiny turbo with a air preheater in the future..HE HE HEE.

James

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I pop the clutch I hold the throttle open a little. Any more than that wouldn't do any good since the choke is closed. Once it starts I open the choke to prevent it from flooding out.

When I took out the sparkplug and looking in the cylinder, I didnt see fuel. However, I did not get a chance to drive it around the block only a couple feet at a time untill the chain jammed up on me. Does that mean anything?

Back