how long have you had your HT engines last?

mark20

Local time
10:46 PM
ive had mine for a few months now, put just over 1500 miles on it! its been great! starts up perfect, still has great power. mine is a 1 piece jug (like a chainsaw)
so, how long have you had your engines last? (ie how many hours/miles)
i personally expected it to last a few weeks and then need a new top end, but these things are somewhat reliable, i daily mine in the summer!

I've had 5 HT66s. All 5 of those were bought before 2010, back when they were still kind of a novelty in the US and they had the [insert a lot of profanity here] early ignition timing. Most of them detonated to an early death. It was guys like Jaguar who helped changed that. Not to mention all of the guys since who have taken the CG to the next level with porting and combustion chamber design, not to mention friggin reed valves. I think I speak for all of us riding these things that we owe a lot to you, fellas who log findings, all regardless of speed traveled.

Anyway, my logging with ye olde CG, average RPM in parentheses.

1st HT66 in 2005-2006 - Dax66, died ~500 miles (blew @ 7K rpm)
2nd HT66 in 2007 GT5 - knocked to death @ ~3K, trashed (6-7KRPM)
3rd HT66 in 2007 GT5 - knocked to death @ ~3K, trashed (6-7KRPM)
4th HT66 2007-2008 Dax66, lived through 2 bikes, sold at ~3K (<6K)
5th HT66 in 2009 GT5, sold when upgraded to 4stroke @ 2K (<6K)

From 2010-2018 I had no HTs at all. My HS did it all and the only problems I had were an exploded clutch bell and goofy carburetors.
I built an HT48 last summer, set it up to be a slow bike, and I really like it. I use it for in-town rides where 25MPH is the max speed limit.

My best luck with chinagirls has always been when I kept them under 6K RPM. Mine were never modified like the experts here.

I've had 5 HT66s. All 5 of those were bought before 2010, back when they were still kind of a novelty in the US and they had the [insert a lot of profanity here] early ignition timing. Most of them detonated to an early death. It was guys like Jaguar who helped changed that. Not to mention all of the guys since who have taken the CG to the next level with porting. I think I speak for all of us riding these things that we owe a lot to you, fellas who log findings, all regardless of speed traveled.

Anyway, my logging with ye olde CG, average RPM in parentheses.

1st HT66 in 2005-2006 - Dax66, died ~500 miles (blew @ 7K rpm)
2nd HT66 in 2007 GT5 - knocked to death @ ~3K, trashed (6-7KRPM)
3rd HT66 in 2007 GT5 - knocked to death @ ~3K, trashed (6-7KRPM)
4th HT66 2007-2008 Dax66, lived through 2 bikes, sold at ~3K (<6K)
5th HT66 in 2009 GT5, sold when upgraded to 4stroke @ 2K (<6K)

From 2010-2018 I had no HTs at all. My HS did it all and the only problems I had were an exploded clutch bell and goofy carburetors.
I built an HT48 last summer, set it up to be a slow bike, and I really like it. I use it for in-town rides where 25MPH is the max speed limit.

My best luck with chinagirls has always been when I kept them under 6K RPM. Mine were never modified like the experts here.
Wow, I did port match mine, I keep it around 5k (but mine will pull to 8.5k, I've done 40mph) I cant imagine the next 10 years, probably have efi by then lol

Haha, yeah a lot of research has been done on the HT since I was a noob commuting with em. I'm still learning things about these gems.
It's amazing what some guys can do with the HT, getting upwards of 10HP with them and going over 50MPH easily..

..or run em on some alternative fuel, chugging along at 15MPH. The HT, call it what you want at times, is an adventure!

850 miles on my 48cc in 2 1/2 years. only thing was I replaced was the clutch assembly, but jug n piston still look good. I know itll get 1500 but it might be a while. I only ride in summer

850 miles on my 48cc in 2 1/2 years. only thing was I replaced was the clutch assembly, but jug n piston still look good. I know itll get 1500 but it might be a while. I only ride in summer
Yea, mine gets ridden a lot, only thing to fail is a stud and clutch arm. Everything else is rock solid!

"Rock solid" LMAO - that reminds me of the event that made me decide I was sick of chinagirls for a while back in 2010:

I had a slow cruising bike with a GT5 HT66 and it was quite a shaker. One day I was riding with my brother on his then-new GXH50 bike and I hit some bump and jerked the throttle as I hit it, caused my engine to snap both studs in the front engine mount. I curse-limped to the nearest Ace Hardware at like 12MPH with my brother laughing at me and busting my balls the whole way and bought a couple of huge hose clamps. I clamped the whole friggin jug to the bike frame with 2 clamps around the jug base.

My brother, still laughing at me, says "dude..you think that'll hold?" And I said "It's a Rock Solid Engine" now. (sorry RSE lol). It did tho.

2000 miles on a pk 80 and 2000 miles on my half breed both run fine so far

I have two half bred cases that I've been using for years now,10 years actualy as they were both purchased in 08,the first of the original cylinders witch had it's last 3 thousand miles doing atempts of 70 and 100 mile straight trips,it just died this season.It died from wearing out the chrome not peeling or flaking issues just pure wore out,I'm still using the second jug but know it's time is comming LOL.Both bottom ends get rebuilt though as one is mounted and in use the other is prepped and ready to go,I do a season with the jug then replace the rings,wrist pin,needle bearings,clips so that on the freshly prepped bottom it's good for atleast the season without worry.So yes years of use and high milage can be had,I do alot of extra work and mods to get the most I can out of it but for my peice of mind I do the above long before it's really needed even on mine.With some of the stocker's we run I have a few that have been running for years and are untouched just run and run with no issues but these are also not running 50+ and were prepped well before use one has over three k on it atm and another is probably around 5k and the only thing done to it since being mounted was change the pipe a few times LOL.What I can tell you all without a dought is that the stock cdi is the main cause of high rpm engine failure's stock or modified,if your staying under 8k rpm it's not as bad but after that it beats the s**t out of every thing!If it's longevity your after at what ever performance level forget the b/s aftermarket bolt on's and buy a good cdi instead you may not notice a big difference or feel like it's doing anything but trust it is and you'll see when you actualy get to wear out a jug before something broke!

Back