How many have run out of gas?

I ran out of gas about two miles from home, on the second test-ride I took.

I have a 2-gal gas can in a bracket now, and I always fill it completely (plus the engine's tank) before taking off on my rural multi-hour wanderings. I prefer not to worry about gas at all.
~

I ran out once coasting into my driveway,got lucky! these littlle 1/2 liter tanks are a definite issue.I find myself constantly topping off for fear of running out.Must get an aux tank soon,probably an H.T. type.

The Bell speedos work real well,but don't seem real durable.Mine did not survive a crash,it's real confused at the moment.At about $10.00 (Walmart) their easily replaced.

My most needed list includes.Aux. fuel tank,"Good" headlight.

I thought the HT 2 liter tanks were small, what kind of range does a 1/2 liter give you? I like the reliability factor of the weedeater motors but a larger gas tank would be needed in short order.

I hooked up my bell computer and it worked for about 7 miles then wouldn't read anything. I need to look into a cable speedo, they are probably more reliable

Last night I ran over 2/3 of a tank of gas on my ride through town, kind of made me nervous when I was in the hood. I didn't know if they wanted to MBjack me or just liked my bike?

Misc.

I get about 20 miles/tank.The 1/2 gallon H.T. type would be bring up to about 60 miles which I think would be fine.I wouldn't want to be encumbered with the weight of a multi-gallon arrangement.

I would check the battery on the speedo,these things may have been sitting for a while, I found I had to change mine out shortly after purchase.They also changed the battery # so you have to "cross-reference" if you will.

Like DougC, I also have a 2 gallon gas tank in a bracket. That two gallons and the little bit in the factory tank (22 oz?) will provide me a complete week's travel for 1/10 the fuel cost of my car.

I have on occasion forgotten to transfer gas from the can to the little tank, and have puttered out on the road requiring refill.

have ran out a few times -- not much of a big deal with my MB

converted my bicycle water bottle into a spare gas tank

first water bottle -- gas melted an internal O-ring in bottle
second one -- has been holding up well

probably not the best way to carry extra gas -- but - seems to work.

Ride That Thing - from Mountainman

Mountainman, do you use the metal bottles for camping fuel or just a regular water bottle? I was thinking about something like that as a "reserve" tank for extended trips. A small 4ox. bottle of oil is probably more convienent though.

Mountainman, do you use the metal bottles for camping fuel or just a regular water bottle? I was thinking about something like that as a "reserve" tank for extended trips. A small 4ox. bottle of oil is probably more convienent though.

hey spyke

it is just a regular bicycle type water bottle -- second one used

note: first water bottle used - had an O-ring that melted due to gas
that is not something we want in our gas - little particles of rubber

also note: these are in no way rated (safe) for storage of gas
talking about some thin plastic here

it just happens to be working fine for me

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I use a 24 oz Gatorade bottle a little over half full of premixed, then mash it close to flat and bungee it to the under side of my rack. No rubber seals or any other junk to dissolve into the fuel. Having a 4 oz bottle of 2 stroke oil on a deserted backroad wont do you any good. Ran out 8 miles from home on a road that averages 1 house per mile. LoL! Don't forget that you can use the underside of your rear rack too!! 09-14-08_1823.jpg

Ok... I have to ask - what is with that exhaust set up?

Although it does answer a question I had - as to whether its possible to invert the usual silencer to run a tail pipe along the toptube to abaft the seatpost..

Dont you worry about leaks from a normal drinks bottle?

Jemma xx

Back