How many have run out of gas?

spyke hyzer

Local time
3:25 AM
I was almost through my first gallon of 16:1 gas and i wanted to run it all of out of the tank before adding new 20:1. I figured I had about 20 miles left in the tank. You guessed it I ran out about 10 miles into the ride. Luckily I was 2 blocks from a c- store in downtown KC. I was suprised to find 2 stoke oil on the shelf, that and $1.60 worth of gas and I was on my way,well after 3 people gathered around to check my bike out. The next thing I add to my bike kit,3 oz. of 2 stroke oil.
One thing I did learn was, don't think 3.2 oz. of oil will fit in the tank if you put 0.5 gal in first

Always add the oil and other additives to the tank or gas can before fueling. It'll get mixed up from the fuel being poured or pumped in with no shaking needed. I find it always necessary to set my trip odometer on any of my vehicles or bikes and then run them to empty with extra fuel on hand to find out my normal range. That way you'll never be guessing if you have enough fuel to get where you're going. I like carrying an auxiliary fuel bottle on me even for short rides. You never know if you're going to decide to go further or maybe even if you have a fuel leak. I always carry 2 stroke oil in a little container just in case.

And no I've never run out of gas, in any vehicle.

Yea I added the oil first and was only able to get .42 gal in the tank so im probably running closer to the 16:1 mixture again. This little HT motor seems to run better each time I ride it and it gets more broken in.
I haven't hooked up my computer yet , I read on here the RF interference causes them to not work properly, I need to hook it up and see for myself.

My computer works fine, I haven't had any problems. It's a cateye. I JUST ran out of gas today, but was about 1/2 mile from home so I got lucky. I will top off from now on before riding.

Mine is a Bell cheapo, I'm going to hook it up tonight, maybe it'll work fine.
The more I ride my bike the more I learn,I didn't know learning was so much fun.

The wired cyclecomputers shouldn't have any problem at all. I have like 3 cheap Bell computers from wallyworld that have been running for quite a long time with no problems.

My first day riding my first build I put only a small amount of fuel in the tank.
I didn't worry about that because the valve has a reserve position. I rode it all around town until I felt it run out. I then turned the valve over to the reserve position and the bike still wouldn't run. So I pedaled it home (not very comfortable) and decided that I can't count on a reserve. But I just keep the tank mostly full.

And thinking about it a bit, something similar happened to me on a motorcycle about twenty years ago. I had forgotten all about it. I remember some co-workers laughing at me; "How can you run out of fuel on a bike?" I had to patch that tank a few times and eventually bought another. I suppose that fuel valve was messed up somehow.

I havent run out, although it was pretty close last night - a 12 mile run from home to wivenhoe and back to visit a friend.

Its best to avoid running out on a two stroke motor because that can cause engine damage due to loss of lubrication at mid/high engine speeds. With a four stroke its just an inconvenience.

I have to keep an eye on the petrol tank on mine because its tiny - I get about 22-24 miles range out of a tank.

Jemma xx

Lol
My gas pod holds 1/2 litre.
I was on a ride, got concerned about fuel and looked. Nothing, a thin film of gas
was on the bottom of the tank. It really looked empty. I could not shake the bike
and see any liquid movment.
I rode the next 7 miles home and made it. With the engine still running I pulled off the
cap and looked again (Nothing)
These things can run on air i tell ya.
I now carry a campers fuel cell of 3/4 litre.
The extra cell (REI $20 USD) gives me piece of mind.
No I never "ran out"
lol

A

On my way to the MBc Ralley, I ran out of gas about 20 miles out of Long Beach. Slowed my arrival considerably.

Back