How many here rode motorcycles first

An little old lady with a fuel injected kz 1000?,wonders never cease.The Japanese sometimes do interesting but weird things.Suzuki once came out with a Wankel engined ueberstrassenkreutzer.But it was short lived&never made it to the US I think.Guess it just couldn't outrun those bad Kaws !

I've spent more time on motorcycles than driving cars.

Problem is that in Australia, especially the South Eastern States, the anti-speeding nazi's have wrecked the enjoyment of motorcyles for everyone who owns or would like to own a high performance sports bike eg, Fireblade, R1, ZX-10, GSX-R 1000

Owning a motorbike these days is pointless as it's all too easy to accidently drive 40 kays over the speed limit and most of the sports bikes only start to feel comfortable about 60 kilometers over the maximum speed limit in Australia.

Recreational racetrack days are what is my choice of fancy, as no one screams blue murder when in ride 100 kays over the maximum speed limited permitted on the road and it's amazing - all that extra speed hasn't killed me.

I don't ride a motorcycle on the road anymore.

I'm 58 this year and when I was 20 we built a drag bike that I rode to a mid 7 at 165mph several times and then had a high speed crash that left me in a coma for 3 days in IC with broken fingers wrist both arms totaled left knee and ribs oh those ribs cracked helmet and scull broken nose and cheek bones and around eye socket (in the old days we didn't have full face helmets) It took me a year to recover and walk without a cane and yes I went back to the track and made some practice runs and qualified for my licence to race again and did. I tell you though I had some butterflys when I first rode a drag bike again I got it staged and was looking down track and sort of fazzed a bit on the situation and was totally late off the line, back then they didn't have a reaction timer but I was so late I was off the dial late. It was all quite the experience but those were the old days of my youth. I've had at least 20 bikes of one type or another . A long string of 650 british bikes Tri's BSA's a Norton or two. The 441 BSA thumper (single cyl.) was one of my fav's had 3 of those at one time.... Yes lots of motorcycles now only Mb's It's the same thrill to me as old and busted up as I am.....Tom In West by God Virginia

I have ridden motorcycles since I was 18 (24 years), many years as my sole transportation. Unfortunately I am between motorcycles and have been itching to get another one.
I am really enjoying building and riding the MB and look forward to racking up a lot of miles. I feel my experience riding motorcycles greatly helps in riding a motorized bicycle. In aspects of awareness, handling, operating, and safety.

1947 to present: Doodle bug, Mustang, 1937 Harly flathead, 1949 Harley ( I think it was called a dualglide) ,1968 BSA 650, 1982 Honda CB 900 custom ( still own and ride often)

1981: At an Air show, a person came riding up to my plane on a motorized bicycle called a " Bumble Bee". Bought one, Pain in the neck, always breaking down but a real kick when it ran.

Now I have a couple very reliable motorized bicycles, custom Built Whizzer and a runabout with a Golden Eagle belt drive. Own and have owned others but these two top the list.

I still truly enjoy riding my motorcycle and the motorized bicycles. Plan to continue until I can no longer safely do so.

I rode m/c for years with a lot of my friends jeff ward,broc glover.bob hannah . I also took few years off went to off road racing and now I ran across a bicycle with a motor that I had never seen!!!! I have not been the same since.

My first motorized bike in 1962,was a 1939 UL Harley Davidson 80" flathead.A couple of years later I found a bunch of 1940's vintage Whizzers,bought them and rode one for a while.One day this guy who had heard that I had them,drove into my yard and made me an offer I could not refuse.Here it is 2009 and the bug bit me again.

still do, but its too cold to do so now, this isnt my replacement but just a fun puzzle or time waster. I doubt i will even put 100miles on it in total but i do look forward to workin on it some more. Iam too far in the country for an mb to be practical it would take an hr or 2 to get to work and prob 3 to get to my university. i might do so in the summer oneday but not anytime soon cause its due to snow next week.

I've ridden motorcycles in the past, but two serious accidents in which I totalled a Harley and a BMW 600 were indicators to me to quit before I died or ended up in a wheelchair. I just can't seem to be able to ride at less than WOT. On a big cycle that is quite fast and rather dangerous, on my MBs it is about 25-30 mph.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Suzuki Wankle rotary engined bike. They were imported to the States for a time. My neighbor bought one. It was a big, heavy, fast, comfortable ride. It had a deep throbbing resonance to the exhaust that gave everone riding behind him a terrible headache. You were fine riding in front or beside him, but behind him was no good. Strange.

Back