How many of have been hit by a car on a bike...

I have been hit several times while riding in the bike lane, but never crashed. I have had things thrown at me, and have had idiots pretend to try and run over me, and got a bit too close. I have the quietest exhaust I can find. Loud pipes DO NOT save lives. They only get laws against motorized bikes passed. So does speeding. I ride 10-12 mph, just like every other Walmart pedal bike rider out there.. I do have loud pipes on my Harley Sportster, but only because I like the sound. They probably piss off a lot of people

I'm not so sure that loud pipes save as many lives now days like they used to in the 70's and 80's.
Sadly enough it's cell phones and complete morons driving cages that take the lives more than anything nowdays.

They don't even look up until they are in the back seat of someones car :D

The first bike i built was a 29'er with a thatsdax engine.
A truck came around a corner headed towards me, it was on my side and my pipe, horn and even my yelling at the lady on a phone as she passed me didn't help me at all....on my side she was lol, and i went laying it down into a ditch hitting some cut tree and fubar the whole bike.

I never did see that person again, until i seen the truck in the paper a couple weeks later, totaled, same woman.

Ten things I've found to be helpful in avoiding being hit by cages.

1) Always stay alert. Often you're mistaken for a human powered bicycle and cages don't realize how fast you're going.

2) If possible choose routes and/or times with less traffic density.

3) Obey all traffic laws.

4) Have communication lighting or at least use hand signals to alert others of your intentions.

5) Use mirrors either handlebar and/or helmet. This way you're aware of what's happening behind you.

6) Use some kind of speedometer. Knowing your speed will affect the decisions you make.

7) Use a duel volume horn system. I have a low volume horn for alerting cyclist and pedestrians on the right handlebar and a loud volume horn for alerting closed compartment vehicles on the left handlebar. This one thing has saved me numerous times.

8) Take the lane. The far right law only applies to lanes wide enough for lane sharing or multi through lanes. Lane sharing shouldn't be confused with lane splitting. Lane sharing is legal throughout the USA.

Lane splitting allows cyclist to ride between vehicles stopped at a red light to the front of traffic provided certain conditions exist. Lane splitting is only legal in a few states in the USA.

By taking the lane it forces passing traffic to use the opposing lane or a clear through lane to pass, as it would a 4 wheel slow moving vehicle. Otherwise the cage will probably do a squeeze by and come closer than 3 feet to you.

8) Be courteous, if you notice a line of traffic behind you, pull of in a safe location and let the line pass.

9) Use a cam system such as helmet or glasses cams. If you're being harassed don't engage with the person if possible. If it can't be avoided let them know they're being recorded and the police have been called. Cams can be helpful if someone does endanger you, it's evidence of the event. Try to get a clear shot of the tag number and person face if possible.

10) Always carry a cellphone.

Last edited:
"1) Always stay alert. Often you're mistaken for a bicycle and cages don't realize how fast you're going." WRONG. You ARE a bicycle, and should not be traveling any faster than a pedal bike. If you come up behind a pedal bike in the bike lane, slow down and match the speed of that bike. If you want to go faster, get a scooter or motorcycle, and ride in traffic lanes with other traffic. In AZ, bicycles, whether pedal or powered, are required to ride to the far right. While the top legal speed is 20 mph, that is just asking for it in town. It's totally foolish. It's fine out on the shoulders of non freeway highways, but not in town.

"1) Always stay alert. Often you're mistaken for a bicycle and cages don't realize how fast you're going." WRONG. You ARE a bicycle, and should not be traveling any faster than a pedal bike. If you come up behind a pedal bike in the bike lane, slow down and match the speed of that bike. If you want to go faster, get a scooter or motorcycle, and ride in traffic lanes with other traffic. In AZ, bicycles, whether pedal or powered, are required to ride to the far right. While the top legal speed is 20 mph, that is just asking for it in town. It's totally foolish. It's fine out on the shoulders of non freeway highways, but not in town.

In my state Tennessee bicycles and motorized bicycles are two different vehicles as defined by Tennessee law.

Motorized bicycle: tn 55-8-101(35)

(35) Motorized bicycle means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

Bicycle: tn 55-8-101(4)

(4) Bicycle means every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two (2) tandem wheels, either of which is more than twenty inches (20²) in diameter;

I will edit the phrase in my original statement to human powered bicycle. In my state motorized bicycles are allowed to go 30 mph on level ground and up to the speed limit going down hill.

The far right law only applies to lanes wide enough for lane sharing or multi through lanes. I my self do ride shoulders where it's safe to do so. However many shoulders are full of debris. Cycling forums are now teaching cyclist to ride in the center of the lane with traffic if the lane is too narrow for lane sharing. Bicycles are defined as vehicles in all states in the USA. Cyclist are expected to obey all traffic laws which apply to them.

Last edited:
Here is your Arizona far right law that applies to cyclist. Pay particular attention to part A(4).

§28-815. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths; prohibition of motor vehicle traffic on bike paths

A. A person riding a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(1) If overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
(2) If preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3) If reasonably necessary to avoid conditions, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards.
(4) If the lane in which the person is operating the bicycle is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

There are states who've revised their laws to a 4 foot clearance of 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles and slow moving vehicles. A few states have even taken this further to require a lane change to pass a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle or slow moving vehicle.

Last edited:
Here is your Arizona far right law that applies to cyclist. Pay particular attention to part A(4).

§28-815. Riding on roadways and bicycle paths; prohibition of motor vehicle traffic on bike paths

A. A person riding a bicycle on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(1) If overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
(2) If preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3) If reasonably necessary to avoid conditions, including fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals or surface hazards.
(4) If the lane in which the person is operating the bicycle is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

There are states who've revised their laws to a 4 foot clearance of 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles and slow moving vehicles. A few states have even taken this further to require a lane change to pass a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle or slow moving vehicle.
I would go with part 3 to take a lane claiming that the shoulder is ALWAYS full of debris, such as nails, screws and glass. Those fall in the category of "surface hazards".

Back