How many of have been hit by a car on a bike...

I never said it's dumb. I said gloves are more important. That much is true especially in winter, when your ability to brake is dependant on your hands not going numb from cold.

Wearing motorcycle level gear is the only thing that provides a real level of crash protection at the speeds involved, but the thing is that those armored clothes would make riding a pedal bike a pain in the ass so nobody does. The tour de france for example often sees 50mph speeds in mountain sections, and crashes are not uncommon. But overheating and fainting in heavy clothes is 100% certain and being knocked off isn't.

I've assessed the risk of me getting hit by a car and decided it's possible but unlikely. And in that unfortunate event the plastic hat won't save my legs, arm, spine, or internal organs. I don't care to protect the skull of a corpse because I won't be alive to see my own funeral.

As always, it's your choice. You don't have to justify your decision to wear one or not. I think it's rude that you put me in the position of having to justify mine.

I never said it's dumb. I said gloves are more important. That much is true especially in winter, when your ability to brake is dependant on your hands not going numb from cold.

Wearing motorcycle level gear is the only thing that provides a real level of crash protection at the speeds involved, but the thing is that those armored clothes would make riding a pedal bike a pain in the ass so nobody does. The tour de france for example often sees 50mph speeds in mountain sections, and crashes are not uncommon. But overheating and fainting in heavy clothes is 100% certain and being knocked off isn't.

I've assessed the risk of me getting hit by a car and decided it's possible but unlikely. And in that unfortunate event the plastic hat won't save my legs, arm, spine, or internal organs. I don't care to protect the skull of a corpse because I won't be alive to see my own funeral.

As always, it's your choice. You don't have to justify your decision to wear one or not. I think it's rude that you put me in the position of having to justify mine.
You're right you didn't say that, that's my bad. You said it's "not important" which is still equally bad advice in my opinion.

Honestly when you're telling someone a piece of safety gear "isn't important" you SHOULD justify it with something because you're telling someone protecting their noggin isn't important.

Then I should also wear an armored jacket and pants...
Naw, it's OK bud, sounds like you have already had one too many brain injuries, another won't matter to you.
I can see why protecting your hands is more important, you are going to need a soft finger to pick your nose when you are human vegetable.

What I suspect is simple vanity here.
'Too Cool' to wear even a bicycle helmet.
Best of luck leading a charmed beauty pageant life were appearance to strangers is more important than you actual life.

Had a close call today I missed the turn lane and had to turn into oncoming traffic and get in that turn lane. I will have to do better next time.

Last edited:
Yeah I know. While u mention trump who is considering voting for trump. If I was able to vote I would. This post is probably going to cause quite a interesting discussion.

If I was a US citizen I'd vote Gloria La Riva, alternately anyone who's willing to put both Trump and Clinton into a rocket and fire it into the sun. But that's got nothing to do with bikes.

Back