how many times have u been pulled over

I guess so. Ill have to watch out for that one cop. hopefully if I get caught again I can get away with only peddleing i that area. I only hope its not illegal to peddle a motor vehicle. but then again its merica...

Well it probably is, you'd have to check your local laws but the engine is mechanically connected to the drive wheel so it is a motor vehicle. I don't think pulling the clutch in makes it not mechanically connected. Losing one of the chains should do the job, or just pedal and hope no one even notices. Unfortunately you already pushed your luck and now that cop will be looking out for you from now on.

removing the chain is a good idea! but it is a lot of work. I think either stelth mods or registering is the way to go. I looked into it. to register they want proof of ownership. I hope I still have the internet purchase receipt! NY sucks though. they will probably not accept it. maybe I should just buy a motoped and go all out!

removing the chain is a good idea! but it is a lot of work. I think either stelth mods or registering is the way to go. I looked into it. to register they want proof of ownership. I hope I still have the internet purchase receipt! NY sucks though. they will probably not accept it. maybe I should just buy a motoped and go all out!

It's not really, takes 2 mins tops, but will weaken that link with repetition (but you use a master link anyway so maybe not?). I guess just depends how often you need to get into the centre of town/other high risk areas. Registering also requires you meet automotive build standards (lights, indicators, ball-end levers.. and emission standards) and idk how you deal with the VIN, probably need a moped to take the numbered section of the frame from.. yeah if you were going to go down the route of getting registration, license, insurance, motorcycle build standards, helmet etc that's going to severely impact on the benefits of having a motor assisted bicycle, it all gets very expensive like a car.. Compared to all that I think taking a chain off when you need to go into the town centre is pretty quick and easy. :p

I was going to ask you which state you're from. It just so happens that NY is the only state I'd heard about that explicitly outlawed motored bikes.

The only way to "beat" NY law, AFAIK, is to ride an electric bike that's limited to 20 mph.

I'm going to go the ebike route myself here in the next year or so... or just flat out buy an electric motorcycle like the Zero or Brammo ones. $10,000 tho! There's also an e-bike I just saw called the "greyp" that has like a 70 mile range on its cruise mode, but when you activate it with your thumbprint it can ride close to 40 mph on its fast mode. So the cops wouldn't be able to reproduce it... altho, they're probably not gonna try and reproduce your top speed when they've got laser detectors and stuff. Only thing wrong with the greyp bike is that it's not much more than an $8,000 e-bike with decent range and good bursts of speed. So the motorcycles start to look a little bit better... but you have to register, insure, license, etc. those motorcycles. I'm sure you understand the value of a motorized bicycle in NY, tho... so I would definitely keep the MAB dream alive.

E-bikes under federal law trumps no MABs under NY law!

Check out a Dimension Edge setup, it has a lever that separates the roller from the wheel so with the flick of a lever your legally riding a bicycle.

Back