How much compression do you have with standard head and RockSolidEngines Billet Head

I'll take your word for it, but boy that's high. (I've read a lot of bull-you-know-what in some people's posts.) What fuel are you running? Any pinging?
among other things and the smaller the combustion chamber the more psi you get when shaving the head
I am aware of this. That's why I bought the hi-comp head and why we're discussing pressures.
As a bike mechanic, do you happen to know what compression ratio that works out to?
... Steve

No I never bothered to calculate it, I was more interested in compression vs crank/rod life. Not to change the thread subject at all but at this time i have 4000 km on the engine with 2500 of that with the high compression head. I am eventually going to take it higher but i am maching my own billet head with 50% more fin surface than whats out there to handle the incrased heat output. If i blow a crank so be it.

Not to worry. I wasn't asking just to test you or anything - after I posted I felt that it looked a bit that way.
The reason I asked was that I read somewhere the other day that the Rock Solid Engines compression rating of 16:1 is done or calculated differently to the usual test which produces a 6.5:1 ratio on the standard 66cc flat head. The same post said that in reality, if measured the same way, RSE's head is actually abou 9.5:1.

My measured 135psi also indicates this. Any takers?

4000km is great going. I figure a new engine every year for me. We'll see what happens.

... Steve

Hi Aussie Steve

What was the compression reading on the standard cylinder head.

By the numbers, you have 50% more compression than my engine with the same RSE billet cylinder head - a signifcant difference, not to mention the lack of horsepower, considering i've also got the billet intake tube.
In it's current state, my motor makes no more power than a standard Chinese engine.

Last edited:
Been a bit slack. Yesterday, I went for a nice long ride to test my mods. No worries there. Today, it's too hot to move away from my fan and beers for too long. I only got as far as swapping to a leaner #73 main jet.
The head swap is next on my list, probably later tonight, when it cools, after a test ride for the new jet.

Fabian:246936 said:
By the numbers, you have 50% more compression than my engine - that's a big difference in compression, not to mention a lack of horsepower.
In it's current state, my motor makes no more power than a standard Chinese engine.

Yeah, there's definitely something pretty wrong. I've seen a dramatic improvement all round, with +1000RPM at the top. Unless the rings are really odd-shaped or nicked/chipped etc, it only leaves the barrel, (ovoid or distorting badly). Still, there should be no heat distortion when it's cold. I guess it's too late to ask, but on examination, did it look from the wear like the rings were barely rubbing on two opposing sides of the barrel?
... Steve

Hi Steve, where abouts is your location - if we live in the same city, i would be very interested to check out both of our engines compression using the same compression gauge and going over my engine together; making a video for Tony.

Fabian

I'm in Nowra, NSW. Nowhere near you, I'm afraid. (I was born and raised in Melbourne, Chelsea and Oakleigh, respectively.)
Pity, though - it would have been interesting.
Feel like a real long ride? I'll meet you half-way.
... Steve

Well, it'll be a couple more days before I can test the compression of the stock head. I started to loosen the head studs to remove the billet head for the swap and the front right-hand nut was already loose - stripped. The billet head requires studs at least 2 mm longer, 3-4 would be better. It looks like I might have been losing a little compression, too, but don't know for how long. My first compression test may have been low. We'll see. I'll repeat both.
I noticed there wasn't a whole lot of thread when I bolted it down and knew I should replace the studs, so what can I say?
Had a problem with the thread too.
See:-
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24468
... Steve

So, my little head stud saga continues, but I did get the stock head back on and did a comp test:- 2 x tests, first 112psi, second 115psi. The highest counts.
Now I've got to suspect that the head nut was already stripped when I did the billet head comp test. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine that the billet head is only 20psi higher at 135psi when I look at the relative sizes of the combustion chambers. As soon as I get my stud problem sorted, I'll re-test the billet head. I think that it might go a bit higher than 135.
The studs are M8 x 1.0mm (both ends) and I can't get that size threaded rod or fully threaded bolts locally. Got plenty of nuts.
... Steve

Last edited:
Back