How much compression do you have with standard head and RockSolidEngines Billet Head

Hey GOTHICGUY64

Hows that racing piston working out.
Is it one of the ceramic coated ones from RockSolid.
I been looking at thoose.

Wouldn't mind having one.

Any input?

my motor is like new after 2500kms ...
mind you its the hp1 48cc rse motor with billet head , billet inlet ,billet clutch,
ceramic piston an long street pipe (poo poo ).
all but pipe from RSE ...
pipe from gasman in penrith
i was lucky too bike is the chainless RSE ..
yes it is a shaft drive

waist of money....

If you want a high comp head you have two cheaper choices...

1) buy a slant head from zoombicycles... same thing, fraction of the price.

2) mill your existing low comp head down... its even cheaper and its a ton easier to do than it sounds. I did it to my low budget bike and makes a HUGE difference. The exhaust sound sound is deeper than stock and its even stronger than the slant head. PM me if you want the 411; all you need is a couple of metal files, some sand paper, a very flat table, and about an hour and a hlaf

Last edited:
Ive bought heaps of stuff from Rock Solid Engines, and nothing I have ever received was junk or a waist of money, but everyone is entitled to his or hers own opinion in this world, I think your comment is a bit harsh.

I have two engines running their billett heads and the performance gains was extremely noticeable, and yes you can mill your head down to achieve a higher comp, but their design has a squish band & the head has been designed very well if you take a close look at it

I have always stuck to their recommendations to fuel/mix ratio of 35:1 using synthetic & I purchased some Opti oil from them and running at 100:1, done over 3 months riding to work and back 5 days a week 54km round trip with no hassles at all, the improvement in performance was again noticeable by doing this.

Ive bought heaps of stuff from Rock Solid Engines, and nothing I have ever received was junk or a waist of money, but everyone is entitled to his or hers own opinion in this world, I think your comment is a bit harsh.

I have two engines running their billett heads and the performance gains was extremely noticeable, and yes you can mill your head down to achieve a higher comp, but their design has a squish band & the head has been designed very well if you take a close look at it

I have always stuck to their recommendations to fuel/mix ratio of 35:1 using synthetic & I purchased some Opti oil from them and running at 100:1, done over 3 months riding to work and back 5 days a week 54km round trip with no hassles at all, the improvement in performance was again noticeable by doing this.

There are some things I have read about rock solid stuff says the opposite...

so far I have heard of their "laser cut" gaskets swelling beyond recognition and their billet intake tube is too short which causes interference with the clutch cable. My comment may have been a bit harsh but what about those two experiences would make me wanna spend $100 for something that wont be that much better than what I can do for almost free. I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal except there stuff is super expensive... its hard to justify a mod that costs more than the engine you are putting it on.

for anybody considering this mod, mil your head first... if you dont like it then spend the $100 on the rocksolid head. If you cant do it... send it to me and I will do it for you... unless of coarse the $100 isn't a big deal for you and you like the way the billet head looks.

I guess the way I look at it is this... for the $100 + shipping I would spend on the billet head; I could have a high comp milled head, the 8.8 head studs, hd air filter, fuel filter, and exhaust from sick bike parts which would give me a faster bike for my effort.

Last edited:
Well I can understand you saying some people have had some issues with parts not fitting or so on, but I have not come across this, I have used their inlet gasket & I ride with a group of us regular on the week ends & mine or some of the other guys who have used them have not had that gasket swell up like that, but then again anything is possible, I don't know about that one, but what I do know for a fact is that they are always their to help with any assistance, and the do have a very up to date and full blown machine shop

Im not cashed up by any means, but I do appreciate quality products, my latest engine is from Rock Solid 50cc HP1, and I am very happy with it, its not on the road as yet, its purely going to be a bike for off road riding & not for the streets, and the kit came with Walbro fuel filter & the studs where grade 12.9, I wanted a aftermarket exhaust & they hand make tuned exhaust for either the 50 or the 70cc so I got one as well, ( they make exhaust for go karts & two stroke motor bikes) all I can say is its great to have someone like them in Australia who knows engines & has some very sick skills in the things they do, it makes us MB's down under who choose to support them easier to get assistance & support for our hobby

With the standard NT carburettor, i found that the billet intake tube does not allow it to fit.

The fuel bowl hits on the clutch cable post holder and it puts the carburettor at quite an inclined angle from horizontal - not sure how this would affect fuel flow through the main jet if the different float angle changes fuel level in the fuel bowl.

I can say that by specifications, the Rock Solid Engine is a good unit:

Helicoiled 8mm head studs
Quality fasteners
Better chrome plating on the cylinder bore
Better quality engine castings.
A dynamically balanced crankshaft fitted with good bearings (though why my engine vibrated like nothing else is up for discussion).
Cylinder ports cleaned up with a die grinder - looked very well finished.
CNC machined parts looked first class
Optional Dellorto Carburettor with adjustable idle circuit.
Optional Billet Cylinder Head
Optional Billet Intake Tube

On that basis, the engine should be a little powerhouse.
I was really hoping for big things with my RSE engine, but in practice, it was quite a disappointment, having less power than a standard engine, possibly from having next to no compression, delivered from the factory with the billet cylinder head installed - this was very strange indeed, considering the standard engine which i've rebuilt with billet head had sky high compression.

Thing is that there seems to be plenty of people who have had wonderful results with RSE engines and billet parts.
I expressed my frustration to Tony, mentioning that i would be happy with just 50% of the improvement other people are claiming.

Having said that, i can say that Tony was great to deal with, offering me a full refund on RSE engine and Dellorto carburettor which i happily accepted.

Fabian

Last edited:
exactly my point fabian... I spent $15 on sand paper... super excited about the results and have sand paper left over for other projects. I would have been pi$$ed if I spent close to $500 for an engine that wasn't as good as the $100 one... and $100 on a head that wasn't much better or possibly the same as the one I got now.

Ill tell you what.. I will post some vids of my bike, and lets see if we can get someone to post another video of an rse billet head modified 80cc to compare. Its my new beater so there isn't anything fancy on the bike... no jackshafts, nuvinci hubs, or nos. Just a 44 tooth sprocket.

Any takers???

Last edited:
Now i will say that i'm super happy with the SickBikeParts Jackshaft setup - in my opinion a single speed setup is a waste of time.
The jackshaft system is brilliant and i've been beating that drum ever since installing it on my bike.

Out the back, the Nuvinci hub is the way to go - seriously, it's the only sensible option for a motorised bicycle and when they come down in price, i'll be throwing out the rear dérailleur mechanism for good - an external gear change system - now that is a truly stupid idea; sooner it's gone the better.

If i could have it my way, i would purchase a Happy Time style engine in component parts, including the crankshaft halves, pin and connecting rod, with intent on assembling everything myself so all aspects of assembly can be properly checked and all Chinese bearings replaced with quality items.

Last edited:
Now i will say that i'm super happy with the SickBikeParts Jackshaft setup.
It's brilliant and i've been beating that drum ever since installing it on my bike.

The Nuvinci hub is the way to go - seriously, it's the only sensible option for a motorised bicycle and when they come down in price, i'll be throwing out the rear dérailleur mechanism for good.

If i could have it my way, i would purchase a Happy Time style engine in component parts, including the crankshaft halves, pin and connecting rod, with intent on assembling everything myself so all aspects of the assembly can be properly checked and all Chinese bearings replaced with quality items.

totally agree... everything from sbp has been top notch, especially the jackshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back