How much $ did u waste....

Damn, that sucks. My guess is some idiot did a hit and run or worse.

You might get away with it by saying its a custom at the dmv and using the bikes serial number to register it. Worth a shot right?

I can register it at dmv but my town bans them, registered or not . It’s so retarded

I can register it at dmv but my town bans them, registered or not . It’s so retarded
The f*** kinda Alabama ville town is that?

If its registered and you got a license they cant just out right ban a certain vehicle. That like saying you cant drive fords there cause some guy got a DUI in one

I truly believe a DUI guys that has license taking away. Was the reason of the ban. I’m really not for sure if I register it what the outcome.I’m just going by my friend said that got stop. I’m calling town hall Monday.

State laws are usually pretty clear on whats a motorized bicycle.
I would guess that no way, no how , if it doesn't have pedals, that it is a motorized bicycle....
It would have to fall under different laws then..... And pedals are only held on by two screws.
People who have enough oompf to start from a dead stop, could just replace their crank arms with foot pegs..... And it's a motorcycle. Probably no point unless you just want to thumb your nose at lawmakers or police out of spite.

A quick Google search shows that several municipalities have banned them. Usually citing safety... people that don't follow the traffic laws. So what do you think happens when its ridden by a kid without a driver's license?

But they didn't ban e-bikes so.........People riding them can still ride an e-bike to work just a couple of miles an hour slower.... And quieter.

Last edited:
How much money did you waste trying to go with cheap parts on motorized bikes?

Its becoming apparent, that the cheap stuff fails.
In fact most of the stuff fails.

Even in the case of friction drive, you're going to spend a lot of money on tires. Even if you buy one set of slicks..... That's basically $100. Money that could have just gone to a more robust kit in the first place. Like staton gear box chain drive with LH freewheel.

Broken engines, broken spokes/wheels, cheap transmissions/clutches.
Got to ask why?

Buying stuff that breaks is just throwing money away. Only seems cheaper temporarily.
What FD kit do you have? FD kits are the most simplest and reliable kits you can have. I'll admit in my opinion and experience they are a fair weather ride and don't do well in wet conditions because of roller slippage. Tires, I used to to buy a Chen Sin[?] brand of tire that was almost a slick. It had slight patterns for a tread so you could tell how much depth was left in the tread, perfect FD tire. They were about $15 a tire last time I bought one. That tire normally would last 750 miles before safety would kick in about it getting too thin for more wear. That's a lot of fun for $15. I'm experimenting w/a Schwalbe marathon tire now but the jury is still out on how it will hold up. $40 per tire. It has reviews of electrics using them and lasting 5000 miles w/no flats. These reviews come from the spandex crowd and are serious bikers. I guess the whole point of this post is to give folks a different perspective than yours Berdomb. No harm, no foul just letting folks know FD's can be fun and reliable.

Amazon.com : Sunlite City CST1218 Tires, 26 x 2.125, Black/White : Sports & Outdoors

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What FD kit do you have? FD kits are the most simplest and reliable kits you can have. I'll admit in my opinion and experience they are a fair weather ride and don't do well in wet conditions because of roller slippage. Tires, I used to to buy a Chen Sin[?] brand of tire that was almost a slick. It had slight patterns for a tread so you could tell how much depth was left in the tread, perfect FD tire. They were about $15 a tire last time I bought one. That tire normally would last 750 miles before safety would kick in about it getting too thin for more wear. That's a lot of fun for $15. I'm experimenting w/a Schwalbe marathon tire now but the jury is still out on how it will hold up. $40 per tire. It has reviews of electrics using them and lasting 5000 miles w/no flats. These reviews come from the spandex crowd and are serious bikers. I guess the whole point of this post is to give folks a different perspective than yours Berdomb. No harm, no foul just letting folks know FD's can be fun and reliable.

Amazon.com : Sunlite City CST1218 Tires, 26 x 2.125, Black/White : Sports & Outdoors

I agree FD is reliable, and largely fair-weather.
It also has a $ cost in tires over time. Both up-front, and replacement. $50 tires add up fast.
Bearings wearing out also seems to occur on even the staton drive..... Which indicates is not as robust of bearing design as it should be. The loads may be too much for bearings. yes bearings are cheap but it's an aggravation.

The point is..... If you look at those costs would it drive you to a more expensive system up front.. that's equally or more reliable?
Such as rear wheel chain drive with staton gearbox and hub, or grubee 4g with a hub mounted sprocket of some kind?

throwing $ away on stuff that fails, breaks, requires frequent replacement is an aggravation in my mind. If there is alternative to do it better first time.

Most of this stuff is marketed at a price point, and for a reason. But when consider wheel and spoke upgrades, better tires, etc $ to make it more reliable adds up fast. I acknowledge it's basically a hobby for people, not a serious form of transportation.....

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
As far as I'm concerned, Illinois is fallen state. Fallen to the Democrats who let gangs and murderers run the streets but are totally against a law abiding citizen defending themselves. When people in the government infringe on my God given, constitutionally protected freedom, right, and responsibility to defend ourself, our property and family, well, in my heart i truly believe this is an act of war. When Joe sends out beto to Illinois the rest country it will go hot that day. Will you be ready?

So they ban electric bikes too?
Go to a city council meeting and ask during the public comment time.
Take pictures with you.

I'm doing research and development(R&D), in my quest to transmit 212cc engine power THROUGH!!
the frame's bottom bracket(BB).

And keep the pedals working.

No one, including myself, knew which components would work, and which would not.

So I did not buy expensive parts.
Not the cheapest parts, though.

Most parts didn't fit, and were returned or stockpiled.

Surprisingly, most of the parts that did fit bolted right on.

BB internal bearings and spindle screwed out.

BB30 cups and external bearings bolted right on.

Two plastic bearing cups needed lathe-working.

Two lock collars were welded
to sprocket hubs.

An extended BB spindle was bought, then trimmed down.

I did an incredible amount of research into how the bicycle's BB fit and work with its spindle and pedals.

I had another bike with a shift kit, so I knew about jackshafts, sprockets, freewheels and gear ratios.

But yeah, why buy the best, when ya don't even know they'll fit?

Last edited:
Back