How much power from a Trojan mini-motor?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by nglasson221, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. nglasson221

    nglasson221 New Member

    I'm new to this forum so I hope I've got the right place. I am trying to find out about a 1951 Trojan mini-motor MkII. In particular I have been trying to find out what maximum power it would deliver in standard form. I have scoured the internet and cannot find any documented power output figures.

    Does anyone know if it was ever documented in a road test report. Has anyone ever dyno tested a Trojan?

    The reason I want to know is to know how it would be treated by current law. I suspect it would be designated as a moped which means it requires registration (number plate) and a motorcycle helmet to make it legal to use.

  2. DougC

    DougC Guest

    You might just measure the displacement and then estimate, based on similar engines available at the time.

    How it would be treated legally depends mostly on your states own laws. Different states have different laws, there are no assumable general guidelines.
  3. nglasson221

    nglasson221 New Member

    Thanks DougC, that was going to be my next question - does anyone have an idea how much power was typical of any 2 stroke 50cc engine built in 1951.

    The law in New Zealand defines a moped as any motorized scooter with a rated power output of between 300 and 2000 watts. Below 300 watts and it is not considered a motor vehicle. Modern electric scooters fall into that category and are legally treated like a bicycle. Above 2000 watts, or above 50cc, or with a design speed exceeding 50km/hr and it would be considered a motorcycle.

    There is a prospect that the 300 watt threshold will be increased to 600 watts.

    I'm sure what I have is moped but was curious to know what the actual output of these engines was when new.

    A moped requires registration and a number plate to be road legal. I'm not sure I want to go to all that hassle. I might just get it going for interest then take the engine off again or sell the whole unit.
  4. BSA

    BSA Guest

    A Trojan mini motor can be registered tax free because it is a vintage vehicle. It is considered a moped. You could get away with driving without being registered, but you risk a 2000 pound fine. It's O.K to risk it with a chinese two stroke, but I would personally register a mini motor. Do a google search on registering a vintage vehicle or phone your local DVLA office. Good luck.

  5. nglasson221

    nglasson221 New Member

    Just for interest - the situation is a bit different in New Zealand. We don't have tax exemption for vintage vehicles although it is cheaper to register older cars (over 40 years old). It is relatively cheap to register a moped and there are is no WOF (warrant of fitness - 6 monthly inspection for cars/motorbikes) required.

    I'm still keen to know if anyone has a handle on the power that could be expected from a 1950 50cc 2 stroke.
  6. BSA

    BSA Guest

    Sorry, I didn't realise you were from new Zealand. The rules are probably different then.