How much will the HT chain stretch?

M

macarollo

I have almost put an enitre gallon of gas through my happy time engine. The chain has stretched quite a bit.

Is there a point where the chain stops stretching? Or will I have to adjust the chain tensioner the whole life of the bike?

It's not just the chain that stretches,mind you. The sprockets settling down with the chain is a factor. The stock roller wearing down is another rather big factor.
Get in the habit of checking your chain,adjusting your tensioner,and grab that oil squirt can and put some here and there before EACH RIDE and you won't have a chain failure.
Sometimes the stretch from those three factors may warrant you removing a link so check that every time before a ride.
That will avoid 90% of your breakdowns down the road.

The fix is to make sure the chain is shortened so it is very tight when first installed. It will then naturally stretch a bit which will be perfect with a roller. I used to setup my chain so it was a little loose and then end up cutting the chain twice to shorten it.

I too was wondering how long the stretch-in period lasts. I have kept my chain clean and lube it up with Teflon chain lube. When I adjust mine, I'm careful not to place too much tension on the drive train, maintaining a little slack. When I accelerate, I tend to go easy at throttle opening from idle speed as not to rapidly and violently 'jerk' the slack out of the chain. I have already removed a link since the initial ride.

I have a Staton Chain drive. As time goes on, the stretch rate does seem to subside. I always give the bike a pre-flight check before I get on it and roll.

I'm hooked on my MB!

I too was wondering how long the stretch-in period lasts. I have kept my chain clean and lube it up with Teflon chain lube. When I adjust mine, I'm careful not to place too much tension on the drive train, maintaining a little slack. When I accelerate, I tend to go easy at throttle opening from idle speed as not to rapidly and violently 'jerk' the slack out of the chain. I have already removed a link since the initial ride.

I have a Staton Chain drive. As time goes on, the stretch rate does seem to subside. I always give the bike a pre-flight check before I get on it and roll.

I'm hooked on my MB!

Hi Honda50 - that's some SOUND CHAIN advice

yes - all chains are going to stretch - more when new - far less later

one can adjust a chain pretty darn tight when new
knowing that it is going to stretch out anyway
this is NOT THE BEST - in my opinion
would rather make more adjustments -- less stress on drive train

don't want that chain in the spokes ----
slight lube on chain
chain adjusted just right - tension
chain and sprockets all lined up ?

should make for a -- Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Indeed, sprocket/chain alignment is a very crucial factor when it comes to chain life. I'm toying with the idea of fabricating a simple functioning tensioner assembly to be mounted on the 'slack' side of my drive chain.

We'll see how this stretches out before I add a tensioner assembly.

Back