How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders?

How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders on the road?

• Daily or close to it (at least 3-5 times/week)

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Just about every week (1-2 times/week)

• A couple of times per month

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Infrequently -- a few times per year

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • Only at pre-arranged meetups or special events

• Does looking at yourself in the rear-view mirror count? (i.e. never)

Votes: 84 55.6%

• Total voters
It's legal here in Memphis and the cops don't really know the laws. I've heard them say, "That's less than 50cc's so you don't even need a license." Some other stuff as well that is clearly NOT in the laws concerning a motorized bicycle.

I never see anyone on a MB here in the country. Thats one good reason we have a MB for my wife. So I have someone (or kids when there over) to ride with.

I've only ever seen two. I didn't even realize you could do this to a bike until I saw the first guy buzz past on the other side of the road. Then I thought that looked a lot better than walking so I started researching. (I don't really remember cause at the time I knew nothing, but I think it was a happy time). Second time was when I was sitting on the grass in an out of the way area of my university's campus. A guy walked by, a professor I think, with a tiny, puttering engine in idle on his bike.

Now that I've got my own, gets a few stares and questions, so I don't think most people have seen them much, if at all.

I ride everyday to go to work and I have'nt seen anyone using a motorized bicycle whether it's electric or gas powered. I did see one of those electric bicycles in a Chinese Antique shop... And I do get a lot of thumbs up and stares from the onlookers. I guess lots of people can't believe their eyes when they see one of these things. There was this one fellow on his car that he just could not resist taking a picture while he was driving. He gave a thumbs up. The traffic was pretty bad so I quickly overtook him and gave a thumbs up sign back... :)

Last edited:
Never ! I put about 200 miles on mine this summer and never saw another MB - I saw a couple from my area on this forum - but they live 20-40 miles away so I doubt I would just run into them by chance.

I've managed to bump in to some one else driving through town my self and befriended this person earlier on in this spring and we ride regularly to the reservation to get tobbaco and also to new sudbury once and a blue. But just recently the other day on our way back out from the res. we bumped in to another feller who also rides an mb unlike our own. So we greeted this nish and he checked out our bike's as we checked out his. Then we exchanged info and parted ways. hope that all three of us to go riding soon and also we all have the same engine kits which are chris hill motors.

I should probably mention that I get plenty of looks -- probably not because of my bike, but because I ride wearing a motorcycle helmet with silvered visor (during the day, at least) and a street-bike riding jacket with built-in back/shoulder/elbow armor. :) People just don't get it until they see me powering away at 30mph, and frankly, I'd wear something even uglier if it meant keeping my brains unscrambled and inside my skull.

Helmet: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/5801/ITEM/AFX-FX-4-Lightforce-Helmet.aspx

Jacket: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/2359/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Johnny-Jacket.aspx

-AG

There was an add some time back where someone was selling a motor for a motorized bike in my town. From folks reactions when they see me, I do not think there is another MB around. I have never seen one, for that matter, it is rare to see a Bicycle rider in my town.

Not that often. I've seen three or four in the past few months around home. Two different guys running Staton friction drives, as well as a guy last week, on a black cruiser with a happy time. Not surprisingly, I saw a couple of them in Bisbee when we drove down a couple of months ago. I think one of them was Roland.

Land ho!

I finally saw a guy last night.He was riding what looked like a friction drive with a strategically placed milk-crate for stealth.I saw the same guy about two years ago, thats it.All the others are go-ped types, even they are few and far between.

I will add that he guy was on the highway (55-mph), with no rear lights at dusk,dangerous. I was cruising carefree down the multi-use path.I never ride in traffic, just not enough power.

Back