How safe is it adding front disc

wan37

Local time
7:40 PM
I’m just thinking putting disc brake adapters on front forks . I don’t know the safety of the forks knowing that they could bend or buckle . I think my forks would be alright but still I know the front braking take the most stopping power. I’m just really thinking about those cheaper retail department stores bike with adapter that scare me. My question is should try it with schwin suspension forks ?

Show us a pic of this Schwinn Suspension Fork
I think its older frame but these are nice and thick forks . Just don’t know what there made of. They also don’t have the little axle washer things with prong.

Attachments

• 04EA41C7-6BE7-4D55-9BC0-3901539E2513.jpeg
    04EA41C7-6BE7-4D55-9BC0-3901539E2513.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 3623D57E-0B1C-4266-88AD-5A004C531DAC.jpeg
    3623D57E-0B1C-4266-88AD-5A004C531DAC.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I think its older frame but these are nice and thick forks . Just don’t know what there made of. They also don’t have the little axle washer things with prongs.
I was searching about forks disc brake adapters and ran across this

Switchblade build or fools errand? Post # 74 on this forum .​

was searching about forks disc brake adapters and ran across this

Switchblade build or fools errand? Post # 74 on this forum .​

Here ya go wan...Im posting the actual link for someone to read the post that you are citing here...DAMIEN

If you are using an "Adel" clamp such as mine which is rubber with a stainless steel band imbedded in it and not just some sort of steel on steel adapter, you should be OK...I have checked this periodically looking for stress cracks etc, and found none...Also note that my fork is much more substantial than the ones shown in the pics on #74 that you referred to and is made of steel...One of those bikes in post 74 appears to be a carbon fiber type of fork and the one on the pink fork looks extremely thin and feeble to even consider running it as a motorised bike...The middle pic is obviously just garden variety cheap grade aluminum.

(Did you notice the pink one is not an adapter but is part of the fork ???...That one WAS supposedly made for the purpose and still failed because of being way too thin and tapered for a fork with built in caliper mounting and totally unsuitable for its purpose).

Im also willing to bet that with the exception of the 1st pic, which appears to be a 160 mm disk but using thin, tapered, cheap, weak, steel fork,
That the other two disks appear to be 203 mm disks...There are reasons why front disk rotors are usually 160 mm...This is apparently one of them...DAMIEN

Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg

Last edited:
My forks come with a caliper mount and that's it. To put disc brake on it you need the right caliper to fit the mounting. Then you need a wheel hub where the disc that works with the caliper will mount, disc needs to be the right diameter to fit the caliper pads and ride at the right height in the caliper. I don't know if or what the standards might be for disc brakes but there's 1000 choices out there and it's scary ordering the wrong parts.

My forks come with a caliper mount and that's it. To put disc brake on it you need the right caliper to fit the mounting. Then you need a wheel hub where the disc that works with the caliper will mount, disc needs to be the right diameter to fit the caliper pads and ride at the right height in the caliper. I don't know if or what the standards might be for disc brakes but there's 1000 choices out there and it's scary ordering the wrong parts.
Yeah...i encountered the myriad of those choices myself when i just said, "the heck with it," ill do it my way with adaptations that i know how to do...and everything is perfectly aligned, the right disk and caliper and pads for perfect spacing and height, etc., and works perfectly...lol...DAMIEN

Damien, if you don't mind me picking your brain....

So it looks like you're using a 160mm disk on the stock Hyper fork with no issues. That's encouraging, as I WAS going to "Disk Brake" and "Predator 212" my Cranbrook, but all of the info gleaned from these forums has convinced me to think otherwise. The Cranny shall remain 53cc with front caliper brakes, like God intended.

BUT.... I also have a 1980-ish HardRock Specialized MTB (no suspension) that I might Disk Brake and 212... have you heard anything, good or bad, about the forks of these bikes? I already have mag wheels,160mm brakes, and of course, the Predator 212 Hemi waiting for it.
This is a stock photo of what I found at Goodwill for cheap...

As an aside- any research into this bike leads me into forums with a sort of Pretentious-Douchebaggery Flavor surrounding it.... makes me want to butcher it for a 212 even MORE.

Attachments

• HardRock.jpg
    HardRock.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Damien, if you don't mind me picking your brain....

So it looks like you're using a 160mm disk on the stock Hyper fork with no issues. That's encouraging, as I WAS going to "Disk Brake" and "Predator 212" my Cranbrook, but all of the info gleaned from these forums has convinced me to think otherwise. The Cranny shall remain 53cc with front caliper brakes, like God intended.

BUT.... I also have a 1980-ish HardRock Specialized MTB (no suspension) that I might Disk Brake and 212... have you heard anything, good or bad, about the forks of these bikes? I already have mag wheels,160mm brakes, and of course, the Predator 212 Hemi waiting for it.
This is a stock photo of what I found at Goodwill for cheap...

As an aside- any research into this bike leads me into forums with a sort of Pretentious-Douchebaggery Flavor surrounding it.... makes me want to butcher it for a 212 even MORE.
Douchebaggery? Here, among like-minded folks? NEVER! heehee... One thing I have found is the little $9 kit from Amazon that uses the stamped steel attachment point, with two holes for the caliper mount and the offset drop out that attaches it to the wheel, actually works, but with one simple modification: Use two of them, sandwiched together. You'll have to order two kits if you want to do both front and rear, but the doubled up bracket reduces the chances of it folding up under serious braking, which has been the one complaint against this kit.
Also, I'm going to try using a rear mag wheel, since it has a brake rotor attachment point on one side, and a threaded side for a freewheel on the other, and then use a threaded spacer that comes with these mags so I can run dual front disc brakes. Should help my stopping issues, as soon as I figure out how to rig up two cables into one brake lever...

Douchebaggery? Here, among like-minded folks? NEVER! heehee... One thing I have found is the little $9 kit from Amazon that uses the stamped steel attachment point, with two holes for the caliper mount and the offset drop out that attaches it to the wheel, actually works, but with one simple modification: Use two of them, sandwiched together. You'll have to order two kits if you want to do both front and rear, but the doubled up bracket reduces the chances of it folding up under serious braking, which has been the one complaint against this kit.
Also, I'm going to try using a rear mag wheel, since it has a brake rotor attachment point on one side, and a threaded side for a freewheel on the other, and then use a threaded spacer that comes with these mags so I can run dual front disc brakes. Should help my stopping issues, as soon as I figure out how to rig up two cables into one brake lever...
That's good to know, because I reached for the Lowest Cost Solution. I plan on just disk-braking the front, so doubling up on the brackets should work for me, too!

Back