how to achive this goal

motorlover

Local time
2:35 AM
HI english is my second language so ill do my best :)
my goal is to have a motor to support myself and help me pulling a small trailer from an immobile position.

I wish to be able tu use my 18 or 21 speeds when the motor is on and off. Is this possible?
I thought about 4 stroke motor because it allows me to have motor help at the begining (when i am stopped)

Also i saw that 4 stoke motors are very wide so it sees to interfere with a normal ergonomic posture to pedal so I though to install the motor on a luggage holder on top of the back wheelor maybe on top of the front wheel so it is not in between my legs.

what are my possibilities what do you suggest?
tx

Attachments

• velo.png
    velo.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 232
A simple bicycle luggage rack would be too weak to handle an engine's twisting force. You will need a custom reinforced rack to handle it. It'll be hard to run the engine in multi-speed while still able to use the pedals in multi-speed with the engine over the rear wheel, typically you'll see a multi-speed shift setup attach at the pedals with a freewheel to use both.

It'll be hard to run the engine in multi-speed while still able to use the pedals in multi-speed with the engine over the rear wheel, why?

and what do you mean by run the engin in multi speed?

Yes, you can still pedal through the gears at all times with either of the standard kits, 2 or 4 stroke.

If you choose to run the engine power through the gears, then it will be a little more difficult to set it up in such a way to allow you to pedal at the same time as using the engine.

There is really nothing wrong with the mid-mounted two stroke kit, in my opinion.
The only thing is getting it started, but you only need to start the engine once per journey, and there is even the option to use a pull start for the two stroke anyway.

As long as you gear it low by using a large sprocket on the left side of the rear hub you will be able to make power right from a standstill.

I'm sure I wouldn't want to have a heavy engine on top of my rear wheel.

HI english is my second language so ill do my best :)
my goal is to have a motor to support myself and help me pulling a small trailer from an immobile position.

I wish to be able tu use my 18 or 21 speeds when the motor is on and off. Is this possible?
I thought about 4 stroke motor because it allows me to have motor help at the begining (when i am stopped)

Also i saw that 4 stoke motors are very wide so it sees to interfere with a normal ergonomic posture to pedal so I though to install the motor on a luggage holder on top of the back wheelor maybe on top of the front wheel so it is not in between my legs.

what are my possibilities what do you suggest?
tx
Only using it to start from a stop? Well if you're inclined to pedal it most of the time anyway then adding extra weight seems silly, and if you only use it from a stop then you either start it every time or start it and leave it running on idle for a whole trip. Both seem kind of dumb to me so I would suggest just getting an electric set up. If you go electric and only want to use it from a start then you can get away with a small battery and just install an electric hub in the front wheel, you'll have less weight and it will keep the weight closer to the ground which puts less strain on you keeping the bike balanced at stops and low speeds. The added benefit is you only use your "fuel" when you intend to use it, and turning it on is as easy as flipping a switch, AND if you live in the United States you are free and clear to use it without being hassled by police over it. The best part probably is you don't have to do anything particularly special to install it since the battery can sit in the frame or on the rack quite easily and a hub motor requires no linkage between an engine and a wheel, no extra chains or belts to fail you.

I have an unrelaible knee and i want to use my bike in the woods . so there is the security that a motor bring in case my knee hurts.
The use i ll do from my bike is not speed. it will be to help me go up a hill. Also i would like it to be able to help me go from immobile to mobile since in the woods, the terrain is not easy to get some speed. Additionnally, i will sometimes carry a small kid transporter on 2 wheels behind me to carry my food and a canoe. So to achieve this, i need power to go from immobile to mobile since there is a added weight to carry.

I heard that to start a 2 stroke you need to already be mobile so a i thought about a 4 stoke wich seems to offer power right away from immobile to mobile. Another thing that make me think about a 4 stroke is that 2 strokes seems to break easily compared to 4stroke .In the woods and for long distances, a electric seems not appropriate.
Do you know if you can use a cheap chinese battery to power the bionix system with some modification maybe?

Some 2 stoke can be started with a hand pull. but when you start it this way, will the motor deliver power to go from immobile to mobile?
Also if i dont use the motor for a ride, do my legs have to push against the compression(when motor turned off)

Get a 2 stroke and get it geared low for bad terrain. It will be easier to start since the same speed will turn the engine over faster with a 56 or whatever higher than a stock 44 tooth sprocket would. With little space to start pedaling a bigger gear would help it get going.

Don't bother with the pull starts on the 2 stroke motor, they suck. If you are pedaling there will be added resistance even without the engine engaged (clutch locked in the pulled position,) so that may make knee issues worse quicker. I don't know what bionics are but if you go electric you'll have less weight and significantly less resistance in pedaling. If you are going far distances then electric might not work so using a gas engine would solve many distance issues. A 4 stroke can be a rear rack mount system, less resistance in rolling and you can use a smaller engine geared lower so you can get past hills easier. You have a pull start built in and since you probably don't care to set any speed records then you can gear it pretty big at the expense of losing high speeds via an engine. You can probably stand to putt around at 20mph anyway so having a large gear let's you tackle any hill with ease and you'll still have a max speed under motor power that's about the same as you do unless you are a strong, avid bicycle rider.

so if i understand, if i install a gas 2 o 4 , when i want to pedal without using the motor it will be hard because of compression. is that exact ? same resistantce with 2 vs 4?
Is there a easy way to take the resistance completely off when i want to pedal human only? what about if the clutch is not engaged?any way to thake resistance off?

<
For electric bike what do you suggest? is it better to buy a kit on ebay or buy an old bionic system and try *(if faisible) to install a cheap battery on it?

could you give exemple of how long can some one use electric bike at what speed with what kind of good bang for buck batteri or better ot look in other subject?

so if i understand, if i install a gas 2 o 4 , when i want to pedal without using the motor it will be hard because of compression. is that exact ? same resistantce with 2 vs 4?
Is there a easy way to take the resistance completely off when i want to pedal human only? what about if the clutch is not engaged?any way to thake resistance off?

<
For electric bike what do you suggest? is it better to buy a kit on ebay or buy an old bionic system and try *(if faisible) to install a cheap battery on it?

could you give exemple of how long can some one use electric bike at what speed with what kind of good bang for buck batteri or better ot look in other subject?
No, on a 2 stroke there's a bit more pedal resistance because of the chain being turned over, you just keep the clutch locked in (disengaged) and pedal as normal. A 4 stroke also has some additional resistance but you don't use a manual clutch, so if the engine is off then it's not linked to the rear wheel while pedaling. Electrics are going to be by far the easiest to pedal with, their design simply doesn't add much resistance to a normal bike.

so what you are saying is that resistance can come from 2 sources 1 the motor compression when engaged and
2 the motor chain when motor disengaged.
is that correct?

for electric bike, i read that it is crap unless you invest like thousands. do you agree?

Back