How to carry extra Gas for long commute? Any Ideas?

Local time
4:45 AM
I'm planning a long commute (The furthest I took my bike) with my friend and I which is about 25 Miles to and from. I need a way to carry some extra fuel. Not to much just enough for an emergency or something of that sort. The bikes can take that on a full tank easily. What kind of bottle or canister can I carry the fuel in? Any ideas?

There are metal fuel cans that are about 1/2 quart. I remember seeing them but not where. They were listed as "Fuel" not gas. But my guess is that they would be safe to use.

What worries me is getting hit by a car/truck and having extra gas rupture and catch on fire. Just 1/2 mile from my house a 18 year old girl was killed on a dirt bike. A pickup hit her. Her gas tank exploded in flames. She was on fire but probably already dead from the impact.

Terry

I use 0.7 liter MSR camp stove bottles. They fit well in water bottle cages.

My stock tank gives me a range of about 25 miles. After the picture was taken, I also added an auxillary 1.5 liter tank that extends my range to 75 miles. Adding the 2 bottles extends total range to about 125 miles.

Attachments

• gebe 022.jpg
    gebe 022.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 697
Extra fuel

I have used a Dr pepper bottle. The same bottle for two seasons now. It is tapered and pours into the tank without spilling. I keep it in my saddle bag.

I use 0.7 liter MSR camp stove bottles. They fit well in water bottle cages.

My stock tank gives me a range of about 25 miles. After the picture was taken, I also added an auxillary 1.5 liter tank that extends my range to 75 miles. Adding the 2 bottles extends total range to about 125 miles.

WOW! Thats one serious setup man! This is just a one time thing im going to do next week. I would rather a cheap 1 day solution. These bottles run for about $15 a peice! I just need a little spare gas. Im not touring the world like you guys! lol But one the serious end. REALLY NICE SETUP!!

A glass bottle with gas in it. They call them Molotov Cocktails for a reason. Be a little safer and use the aluminum bottles I posted about. I don't know you but I still would hate to hear about you burning in an accident. Just think about it.

Terry

Back