How to check how much fuel do you have

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Carlosmotors, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Carlosmotors

Carlosmotors Guest

Hi I was wondering is there any way that some of you did this that you can check how much fuel do you have without looking in fuel tank like there is on motorcycles and cars..

<
  2. skyash

skyash Active Member

Have a clear hose out the bottom of the tank back in the top with a little ball in it .you can see the fuel and ball move up and down or put a stick under your fuel cap and put 1 litre of fuel and then mark on the stick then you know how much you got on the dip stick

3. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I just look in the tank ;-}

4. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Active Member

Takes all of 5 seconds to glance in the tank lol...

5. Jonj57

Jonj57 Active Member

Dipstick works, simply looking inside works better, or grab a bit of fuel like drop it in till you hit the bottom then plug the top with your finger and pull it out and see how much is in the hose. Looking probably works best tho

6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

and if you can't see the gas level lighting a match will make it easier! :D

kevininpa and Timbone like this.
  7. Jonj57

Jonj57 Active Member

Make sure you hang the match inside the tank right above the fuel so you can see the level from edge to edge with extreme clarity!

kevininpa and Timbone like this.
  8. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Active Member

I find dropping the match in and waiting to hear the sizzle works best. The longer before you hear the sizzle the less gas you have.

kevininpa likes this.
  9. gary55

gary55 Well-Known Member

Even more light with a torch, though rather unsafe unless you are from england.

10. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Well-Known Member

I can see the fuel in tank when it's full or close to it,But at night and when the level is below half it does become more difficult a gauge would be nice but not really necessary and then another thing to go wrong!My headlight easily comes off it's mount shines in the tank filler hole and remounts all in less than a minute! As for the match method flashy idea.

11. gary55

gary55 Well-Known Member

A cap with a float gauge would probably be a good seller. I would still have to look though. It's a curse.

12. Street Ryderz

I had a float gauge in an outboard tank and the rattling and sounds from bouncing around drove me nuts!

13. Street Ryderz

My next tank is going to be worse on a steep angle and deeper! But I don't care because I think it looks awesome!

Attached Files:

14. sp1ke

sp1ke Member

some tanks are fitted with a sensor or u can make your own but id just look in the tank

15. KCvale

I always shake a 2-stroke back and forth to mix up the gas before I ride, I can tell if I need to open the tank and look, but I don't have the same 'automatic' thing for 4-strokers I just get on and ride.

I have seen board trackers with just a clear tube on the side of the tank that shows the fuel level inside.

Some kit tanks come with a petcock that has a reserve setting.
    Up until that runs out, then down for another ~5 miles.

16. Dave Chambers

Dave Chambers New Member

KC, I helped a friend set up a kerosene tank for his home heater. Heater was vented, and it was normal kerosene, not the stuff they only sell for heaters these days. My friend got about a 5 gallon vertical tank. We make a stand to set up on the opposite side of his front room wall. For some reason, this tank had a 90 degree nipple fitting about an inch from the top of the tank and another same fitting about an inch above the bottom of the tank. I got some thick clear gas line, some stainless clamps, and fit hose to top and bottom nipple in a straight line, clamping them in place. Now he had a "sight tube" to check how much kerosene was in the tank from his front room window. Long time ago, but I think it was 1979 when this sight tube was put in place.
    DAVE--you're doing my hammered copper nuvincii build.

17. KCvale

Hi Dave,
    Yep, "sight Tube".
    Yep, and it'
    s turning out sweet ;-}

[​IMG]