Carby How to clean carby

bigkev81

Local time
5:05 AM
Hi guys,
I am sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it. It probably has but I couldn't figure out the magical search phrase.

Anyways, working on my 66cc bike which has been sitting in the garage for 2 or more years. I've been advised to clean the carby out.

I have removed my carb from the bike. I am assuming I remove these 2 Phillips head screws:

IMAG0211.jpg IMAG0212.jpg

To access the bottom part and clean that area out?

How do I clean it? Rag and carb cleaner?
Also my uncle tells me to be careful messing with the carb as they can be complicated and have lots of springs (whatever his issue with springs are I don't know lol, I've always thought of him as a weirdo haha)

Anything I should look out for or be careful not to do during this process?

Thanks in advance :)
Kev

Last edited:
Well your uncle also probably dealt with very large and complicated carbs from old style engines and motorcycles. The ones we deal with are lucky if they even have 2 springs and 5 screws in them.

Now as far as cleaning, open it up and remove any rubber parts from the bunch, soak them in acetone for half an hour.

Then spray it with carb cleaner (wear 2 pairs of gloves, or rough it and don't :)) get into all the little spots and let it air dry. Reassemble, ride the bike.

cheaper is just to use alcohol (or gasoline) and Q-tips.
strip the plastic off of a bread tie-wrap and use that metal wire to move it in and out of the main jet to clean out its fuel passageway.

Back