How to fix my chain from breaking.

I worked in industrial maintenance for 34 years, I've cut chains up to 120 double row. The only way to cut large chain is to used the grinder as said above, that's what I do in my shop as well. I have industrial chain breakers but grinding down the pin to the side plate is fast and easy, then just pull the chain apart.

The half link will have a cotter pin to hold it together, a flat side on the pin and matching flat in the link side plate keeps the cotter pin from spinning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-184534.png
    Screenshot_20211104-184534.png
    387.8 KB · Views: 107
I'm breaking the chain with a cutoff wheel on my hand grinder. Just cut the pin ends and pry the strap off. I'll use the chain tool to push in the pin of the half link, then replace the master link. That's how I hope it's going to work ;-)
Might help to do a quick peen on them pins after installing. Just for extra measures.

Might help to do a quick peen on them pins
This is what the Berry sent me. The chain tool looks pretty good, but these are not the links I thought I was getting. These have a keyed pin and cotter pin. I wanted the ones that have a pin (with one mushroomed end) inserted into a strap. Yes, peening the pin is a great idea (hadn't thought of that).

Attachments

• P1020562.JPG
    P1020562.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 99
Back