How to get piston back into cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I figured out that the piston has the little pins a bit too late. I was trying so hard to compress the top ring that it snapped on the pin. :( So now I have to get another set, but at least I know how to do it now. Again, my impatience biting me :(

Definitely get a new set of rings! Installing one ring is asking for future trouble and expense. You should be able to install them with your fingers. If not, a hose clamp and a drop of oil as suggested will do the trick. Putting one ring on your piston is kind of like putting a small wheel on the front of your bike so you will always be going down hill.....

Just for a giggle give it a try. Move the ring to the top slot put it together and try it out, like I said I have one that way for over a year. The small pin is gone for that ring land so the ring would just move over and get in the port. So this is the fix for now, I have a new barrel and piston to replace it but why, it runs good, I leave it alone. You could do this till the new one arrives. Let us know how it runs. 45 years as a motorcycle mechanic you learn tricks. Have fun Dave
yeah, I figured out that the piston has the little pins a bit too late. I was trying so hard to compress the top ring that it snapped on the pin. :( So now I have to get another set, but at least I know how to do it now. Again, my impatience biting me :(

Could be an expensive giggle. Unless its an emergency, try to put your engine back together with all its parts. ABeagle summed up the reasons why. 51 years as a mechanic and still find it best follow the book.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I take it that there are different opinions on the subject. I'm not sure what to do though. Like I said, one ring is still intact, but the other broke in one spot. I'm just not sure I can find another ring to fit my piston. Is it possible to use somekind of "steel-bonding" product to mend the broken ring, or is that just asking for trouble?

who did you buy your kit from?
they may sell rings
or, somebody here might be able to tell you where else to get them

I bought my kit from a guy on ebay. I emailed him asking if I could buy the parts, but haven't gotten a reply yet. The ones I saw on bcmoped.com looked like they might work. It is called "Precision High performance Piston Ring Set 70/80cc." The fact that it says 70/80cc makes me think they are a generic/standard size, and my engine appears to be the standard chinese engine.

Kings and Dax have rings. Kings has a barrel kit, with a piston fitted.

Attachments

• PICT0215.JPG
    PICT0215.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 522
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back