How to get piston back into cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dancycle

Hey, I had to take the cylinder casing off to replace a gasket and now i'm trying to figure out how to get the pison back into it. I've tried squeezing and messing with the rings, but I just haven't been able to get them to fit back inside the cylinder. I looked for previous posts but couldn't find anything relevant. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

it sounds like the locating pins are what were giving you the problem...

each ring slot has a little pin
the opening in the ring fits over the locating pin
as you are pushing cylinder down, compress bottom ring, then top

If you can't compress the rings enough to get them into the cylinder you can take it to any small eng repair. They should have a ring compressor that will fit your small piston rings.

Ok, thanks guys. I have one other question. I was just wondering, is it possible to run safely with only one piston ring?

install rings

If you can't compress the rings enough to get them into the cylinder you can take it to any small eng repair. They should have a ring compressor that will fit your small piston rings.

I've been known to use a hose clamp with grease to install rings upon occasion.

Denny

Running only one piston ring can cause compression loss and the piston riding incorrectly in the cylinder bore, not to mention possible cylinder and piston galling. I would not recommend it.

these rings are very easy to do with just fingers
I have done it at least half a dozen times with both dax and livefast heads
the hard part is not getting any permatex copper on your hand while doing it :D :LOL:
(put the gasketmaker on the block and won't be as messy !)

Last edited:
I've not yet had to pull the jug on my HT yet. On BMW motorcyles, I've pulled the jug off just far enough to take the wrist pin out of the piston, leaving the rings seated in jug. Is this possible with the HT?

Answer YES. A lot of the racing pistons I have put in my bikes over the years only have one piston ring. I have a happy engine now with only one ring on the piston, I have a lot of miles on it, It actually is easier to start, it does not fight compression. the rings only keep compression and combustion gases on top to do work. Oil keeps things from sticking. Have fun, Dave
Ok, thanks guys. I have one other question. I was just wondering, is it possible to run safely with only one piston ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back