How to get your bike to go faster!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well, that the 70 & 80 engines were made for the torque needed for the pedicabs abd delivery cycletrucks.
Which makes sense as to why there's not as much difference in the top end as far as speed, but you can really feel the 'pull' of the bigger engines...
Cool stuff.
BTW- that last response wasn't meant to sound 'snarky'- if I came off that way I publicly appologize. In re-reading it I found that it could have been interpeted that way; it wasn't meant to be...
:)

hey, Bird, what would be a good/safe amount to shave off the head? like .010" maybe?

Do aftermarket carbs have restrictors. How do i remove it from the stock carb?

The restrictor I was refering to is in the intake port of the Whizzer engine kits, the chinese kits don't have this as far as I know. Whizzer uses them to keep the top speed below 25 M.P.H. for legal purposes...
8)

derailer gears?

i was wondering if anybody has used derailer gear set up like on 10 speed? & how it might work on motored bikes?

Re: derailer gears?

wavygravy said:
i was wondering if anybody has used derailer gear set up like on 10 speed? & how it might work on motored bikes?

I think it would only work with a centrifugal clutch (pull start) because the freewheel would not allow compression starts like ours
but I think it would work with pull start and a jackshaft to transfer the engine to bike side derailleur

I'm working on this currently. It's a thorny challenge to get the power to the rear cassette. On a regular diamond frame bike there's not much room for a jackshaft, so I have to be inventive.

I intend to use a wedd eater ~32 cc motor with a centrifugal clutch, hopefully with a planetary gearset reduction to bring the speed down...

Does anybody know if weed eaters have a reduction in them? I can't find info on this anywhere.

Anyway, I'll probably rack mount the engine b/c I like my pedals close together. The jackshaft will probably go on the rear side of the seat tube, wedged up underneath the seat stays. The pedals will run to the jackshaft, as will the engine, and then the jackshaft will output to the rear wheel, giving us use of all 7 gears with both pedals and engine!

See the picture if this doesn't make sense:
1089_MotorizedBicycleStuffPg10_1.jpg

I may not use the bike listed on the pic - it was just a convenient pic I printed out.

There are a lot of concerns, like how to make a freewheeling sprocket of any size other than the ones offered by various vendors. Also, can the regular chain take the load of the engine?

Sorry, I may have hijacked this thread, but this design definitely should be capable of good speed - 45+ mph?, which is kinda on topic ;-)

I don't know about any weedwackers that have a reduction, but I do own a TroyBuilt tiller (looks like a weedwacker, but has changeable attatchments.) with a 30something cc engine, and the tiller attatchment is geared down. It just snaps onto the end of the "stick". I don't know the reduction, but it's at least 3/1

Thanks Joe. I've seen conversion kits that come with a reduction, and they are running something like 18.75:1! They charge $330 for the piece, though, so I'm trying to come up with an alternative.

Went 25 mi on an unpowered mtb today... longest ride I've done in months.

EDITED TO REMOVE MY BOGUS INFORMATION....G's!
I'm an idiot, don't listen to anything I say......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back