How to go about starting a legitiment motorized bicycle business

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmb271

Local time
12:27 PM
I have a dream, not really a dream but a idea, to either build frames (or buy them if building them is outside my technical skills and to create a motorized bicycle company that is legal. How persay, well I'd like to know the best way to start a business that allows me to register them as a moped, I'd most likely keep under the 50cc limit and tend to stick with 4 strokes unless someone ask for a 2 stroke which I wouldn't recommend. I'd replace all the crucial nuts and bolts that are known to fail first or that are cheaply made with something of higher quality, high quality rims and bearings for the torque, a well documented how to guide for repairing the bicycles as well as the ability to get a tag or to register it as a moped.

Since I live in georgia the moped laws are not very well defined making loop holes extremely fun, I would install headlights, tail lights and turning signals just to make registration (which isn't required) easier for those who want to, I need to know the steps I need to start a corperation for manufacturing these as a moped but there's not much documentation on starting a moped manufacturing company in the U.S. any ideas?

yeah i want to do the same thing here in ontario, i just wanna make the cheapest legal transportation possible. too bad just about everything legal here has to get screwed on insurance.

What you have is a dream only, you cannot possibly do what you're saying and compete with the Chinese imported scooters, etc...the 50cc Chinese scooters are selling here in Panama City, Florida for less than $700.....and they are street legal..with all the bells & whistles..a person who buys one of these is not looking for high quality, just cheap trans....

A few things that should clue you.The safety regulation BS that started in the 70's would cripple any attempt you'd make, that's #1.As darwin said, you'd need to charge more than people would spend to make your money back, effectively throwing money away, that's #2. Once a company, you'd be responsible for a lot of customer complaints that were their fault, see #1.
The most important thing to me is #3, this is why I never started building for a profit: when you turn your hobby into a business, you no longer have the hobby (it loses it's fun),
if there are many MAB riders in your area,
there will be more complaints,
more complaints lead to restrictions,
restrictions lead back to where we started.
Under the radar, have fun, let the populace think you're crazy, when you are one of the few sane,... my.02 cents.

I have a dream, not really a dream but a idea, to either build frames (or buy them if building them is outside my technical skills and to create a motorized bicycle company that is legal. How persay, well I'd like to know the best way to start a business that allows me to register them as a moped, I'd most likely keep under the 50cc limit and tend to stick with 4 strokes unless someone ask for a 2 stroke which I wouldn't recommend. I'd replace all the crucial nuts and bolts that are known to fail first or that are cheaply made with something of higher quality, high quality rims and bearings for the torque, a well documented how to guide for repairing the bicycles as well as the ability to get a tag or to register it as a moped.

Since I live in georgia the moped laws are not very well defined making loop holes extremely fun, I would install headlights, tail lights and turning signals just to make registration (which isn't required) easier for those who want to, I need to know the steps I need to start a corperation for manufacturing these as a moped but there's not much documentation on starting a moped manufacturing company in the U.S. any ideas?

Please post the statute that says that it is not legal.

Dream BIG,
They told the Wright Brothers they couldn't fly. Your young, you can live your dreams. I don't have any suggestions on how to go about it. Your parents may be the place to start? I do know that you should check into the liability issue, before you get to far. You will need some type of liability coverage if you are manufacturing motored bikes. The world is lawsuit happy today, and you want to be covered. You should have a design, and a working model. Be sure you have the knowledge, and abilities before you invest a lot of money into your venture. Chinese production may be cheaper, it doesn't beat American ingenuity. Seek advice of local manufacturers, parents, and a lawyer.

There's no one and I mean no one in my geneal area with a motorized bicycle, I live in the south, everyone either has a truck or a harley but I'm thinking of targeting those who just need to get to point A to point B. I'd try to make them as stupid proof as possibly (put gas in, check oil periodically, don't over rev it for a long period of time, don't be stupid), I'd do the break in portion myself so they don't have to, I'd draft contacts that allows them to return it if they don't like it within three days and offer a service plan for general repairs (that weren't caused by negligence but by kit defect that I overlooked). I'd put it at a use at your own risk, if you flip it into the windshield of a car, that's your own problem, even if it was a defect that you failed to notice and report. I'd most likely offer a 2 month check in to ensure the bikes are in working order and are being carred for as well as make recommendations to any issues the person is having.

The member you want to talk to is "KCVale" he's made a nice business and probably has the know-how.Best of luck.

Let me say this. Product Liability insurance kills your dream before you ever start. I love America & the people
like you that have dreams as you. But there is just not the profit there to even consider something as that.

Fly

If you want another clue, look up "Goblin Aero" here and on the web.The guy built something special, went to crazy trouble for molds and such, actually had protos out, and POOF gone.I bet he spent thousands for naught.
The main problem you're going to encounter, look how many bicyclists are in your area, not many bikers, you won't have many sales.At some point, the idea of riding bikes, has been lost on Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back