How to go about starting a legitiment motorized bicycle business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, young man, I do think you are on to something. I think we all are. Why do Americans spend so much on such a crappy "cars first and foremost" transit system?

There will always be a market for cheap, efficient transportation but the hardheaded majority of people who are addicted to cars will not allow it. It's not a conspiracy at work here, it is an attitude. A delusion. A kind of hypnosis.

Indiana is the most recent state to step up th regulation of scooters/ mopeds/ motorized bicycles. Hell, too many car infatuated Americans are calling for the registration and increased taxation of BICYCLES. Yes, bicycles. The most efficent and cheap vehicle ever invented.

Our roads should be dominated by efficient, two wheel vehicles. But, alas, most motorcycles you see are grotesquely overpowered and are essentially the toys of men and women who drive their cars and trucks to work. Motorcycles are very expensive, and if you can find some kind of salvageable motorcycle at low cost, there are almost always title issues. A cheap car is almost as cheap as a cheap motorcycle.

These motorized bikes we enjoy so much have evolved to fill this void. But the obstacles are many. Any ride, anywhere, can end up with a stop by law enforcement. Engines are cheap, but poor quality that will keep even the best mechanic on guard. he Whizzer is the closest thing we can find to a reliable, retail product.

It shouldn't be like this.

Build a great bike.

Ride it around town.

If your bike is great, it will be noticed.

The best advertising is word of mouth.

Trust me I get ALOT of people asking for information and if I'd build them one, If I did I'd most likely have it custom made for them so I don't end up building a dozen or so that don't sell. Lately I just tell people what it is and to look it up because the fear of being liable for their stupidity

Build a great bike.

Ride it around town.

If your bike is great, it will be noticed.

The best advertising is word of mouth.

Well I do agree with that. My early comment was the thinking on having a store front & all the over head that
goes with it. KC Vale seems to do well with out a store front. But he also makes some dam nice builds.

I have thought of doing the same, but I,m retired. I have people
wanting me to make them stuff in my small machine shop all the
time. I turn most away. I can do better at that then bike building
but AGAIN I,m RETIRED. You know the only bad thing about being retired???

You never get a day off!!!! (wink) Fly

At one time I did have a impure thought about making a selling motorbikes. My opinion is in most cases, they are considered to be sporting equipment. I did contact a independent insurance agent and the response was they could find a interested carrier and the policy would be upwards of $15,000 per year depending upon questions regarding suppliers. I suppose about the time the carrier found out you had to certify the engine was to be used for racing only and you wanted to install it on a bike form Walmart and sell it to the guy down the street for road use, the agent rep would be out the door beating track records. We are in the Wild Wild West of hobbies. It could be the future of transportation and deserves some slack from product liability laws but, ladies and gentlemen, except for perhaps some major players, we are on our own (my opinion as usual). I can only guess out there who has and who does not have this insurance. To the ones flying bareback; I can only hope the best. At times I may be blunt in commenting about hardware but perhaps a reason for contributing to the forum is to help keep them out of trouble while they do their pioneering work.

My early comment was the thinking on having a store front & all the over head that goes with it.
KC Vale seems to do well with out a store front. But he also makes some dam nice builds.
Fly
Thanks Fly.

It's all about a continuous supply of customers, and of course an Internet presence.

I live in the 'sweet spot' of the country for year round riding (80F again here today hehehe), and a Government and Sheriff that do everything they can think of to take peoples AUTOMOTIVE driving privileges away.

Everybody and their brother that has ever rode one want's to make a business out of it here,
heck search Craigs with 'motorized' under 'bikes for sale' and you'll find hundreds.

Sadly most are poorly home built the builder maybe got a gallon of fuel through before it stared falling apart so they put to for sale just to break even.
This however is widely known here.

Junk is Junk but it's not the only option, hence me ;-}

The net that captures people and takes away their driving rights is not limited to the poor.
Plenty of well off people just want something that looks cool, is comfortable to ride, and reliable.

I am the most expense builder in town, but it's not all profit, heck I'm happy to split $175 with my help for a simple build.
I just have a much higher quality standard for a 'simple' build is all.

Tough gig for one guy somewhere you don't want to drive a car let alone ride a bike half the year.

I am a lucky guy, I don't need to make much, my wife is paid well, enough to keep supporting out 25 year old son and her sister, but I have my own money and that's why I get to play.

'Going commercial takes the fun out'?

Again I am a rare bird here, I have the luxury to build and ride not just customers custom desires, which make up ~75% of my sales, I get wild hairs and keep trying new things that usually end up selling as well.

Another concern is indoor space.
I had to commander the bedroom adjacent to the shop space just to house all the bikes not on the shop floor.

KCsBikes2-2015.jpg

Damn the Legal pitfalls like insurance and sales tax...
I have registered my trade name here but I know all to well how the sales tax works here.

The premise is you don't pay sales on every single part you buy, then have to them all every month on a form and pay it then.
Pffttt...
I install parts customers buy, all labor, and I claim my income.
Well below poverty level again for me this year but still an addition to the wife's income so the government get's their pound of flesh from me.

You can do OK a bike or two at a time.
Pocket money anyway.
Just do 'em right so you don't have return headaches is about all I can advise.

wll i as well have the dreams of opening up a small shop building these and when i buy a part i normally buy 2 or 3 and get turned off by the legal crap of what it will really cost, you said it best when you said it would turn your fun hobby into a pain so if john q. public wants 1 i build it but no advertising it ad as we all know where ever we go we get a thousand questions and interested people there is a market for these if not for riding and having fun but even transpo but good luck from ..moses lake wa.

Got a web page with documented builds and good pics yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back