How to increase your MPG

Tom

Local time
1:45 PM
I figure this thread needed to be started. Some suggestions I can come up with: (actually they are just guesses, thats why they have the ? after them all)

new carb?
smaller sprocket?
lower idle?
correct fuel/air mixture?
correct fuel/oil mixture?

always looking for ways to improve

what does everyone else think?

running preimum gas instead of unleaded and ive also heard of mixing a little rc airplain fuel gives it a little boost in speed. i wouldnt doubt it tho those things run like above 6000 rpm.

those things run like above 6000 rpm

Bird,

I'm into RC, both airplanes and helicopters, and a typical glow fuel RC engine will turn anywhere from 16,000 to 22,000 RPM. Glow fuel is a mixture of methanol, oil, and nitromethane in varying percentages. Your 2 stroke bike engine will run on it just fine and make lots more power, but your carb needs to be modified so it is about 4 to 5 times richer mixture. The bad news is, glow fuel is selling for from 15 to 30 dollars a gallon, depending on nitro content and where you purchase it.

what if you mix it in with regular fuel. some guy told me to do it but i didnt want to throw down a lot of money for a bottle of rc fuel and not have it work. would it make a difference if you mixed it?

Yes, it would make a difference, but again, you need to richen the mixture in relation to how much glow fuel you use, and the improvement in power will be proportional to the amount of glow fuel used. It would give you more power, but your mileage will go down. It's difficult if not impossible to make more power from the same displacement without burning more fuel.

I think that a smaller rear sprocket may be the answer to better MPG and higher top end speed. Think about it. If you go 20 mph after you have installed a smaller rear sprocket, your engine will run at lower rpms at that same speed. This may actually use less fuel. Please correct me as I may be wrong. Still in the learning stages.

I would definately say that a lower idle speed could also be a way of conserving fuel. Why run the engine at high idle speed and use more fuel if it is not doing any work. Now I am indeed curious about the correct fuel/air mixture. Wouldn't the engine make more power if it is run lean. After all, if it is not run lean enough, there will not be enough air in the mixture to use to burn the fuel quickly and effectively. However, u probably already know that running it lean will, in most cases, make the engine run hotter. Doing this is probably good for short distance runs though.

RC fuel as well as "super" or "premium" unleaded, not to mention any type of fuel additive aren't going to do anything for you but cost a bunch of money and the RC fuel will screw you up big time if you try mixing it.

A two stroke engine run on alcohol requires almost 3 times the fuel to air ratio.

A smaller rear sprocket will help, but if you run it wide open all the time, it won't help much if at all. Run @ 3/4 throttle and you'll see improvement.

Lowering the idle will help only in a miniscule way.

Running too lean will only cause you engine problems.

Running a mixture of synthetic oil at a more reasonable ratio (something like 40 or 50/1 instead of 20/1 will also help....a little.

A good (NGK, Bosh, Champion) plug, kept clean will go a long way.

Correct tire pressure, lower weight and good aerodynamics will get you better mileage improvements than any magic additive in the tank.

joeranton said:
I think that a smaller rear sprocket may be the answer to better MPG and higher top end speed. Think about it. If you go 20 mph after you have installed a smaller rear sprocket, your engine will run at lower rpms at that same speed. This may actually use less fuel. Please correct me as I may be wrong. Still in the learning stages.

I don't think the size of the rear sprocket matters as much as the size of the drive sprocket. My thoughts would be a larger drive sprocket would definately add to speed & reduce consumption.

Back